1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Color contest: brown. Sponsored by Kent Wang

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

What other colors are there? [​IMG]

Why space colors, of course!

2. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

[​IMG]

I have a shirt in that same fabric. Who made the jacket? The fabric looks nice.

3. Mildly Consumptive

Mildly Consumptive Senior member

I have a shirt in that same fabric. Who made the jacket? The fabric looks nice.

It was made by a local fellow in Toronto. It isn't super hi-end, as you can probably tell from the plastic buttons, but I am pretty satisfied for the price. It fit better 15 pounds ago.

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I wish I'd thought of the outfit I wore today before entries closed; I'm much happier with it than the entries I made.

Ah well, c'est la vie, que sera sera, chacun a son gout.....

... et merde. [​IMG]

5. skefferz

skefferz Senior member

Contestants will be judged on best use of the color brown. One can put together an outfit made up entirely of brown items, or subtly use other complementary colors, but brown should be the dominant color.

In the above statement Mr. Wang has confused the words dominant and predominant. The word he should have used is predominant.

Dominant means to have great power or influence as in position; i.e. Manton is a dominant satorialist.

Predominant means to be the most conspicuous or important; i.e. Brown should be the predominant color.

From The American Heritage├é[​IMG] Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000

6. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Voting for the finalists has begun.
    In the above statement Mr. Wang has confused the words dominant and predominant. The word he should have used is predominant. Dominant means to have great power or influence as in position; i.e. Manton is a dominant satorialist. Predominant means to be the most conspicuous or important; i.e. Brown should be the predominant color.
    If you will consult Merriam-Webster: dominant - b: very important, powerful, or successful <a dominant theme> <a dominant industry> predominant - 1 : having superior strength, influence, or authority : prevailing 2 : being most frequent or common The b definition for dominant is the most appropriate here. Webster even offers the example of "dominant theme", which is precisely how I am using it above. The 2 definition of predominant is not as precise as I do not mean to emphasize frequency.

7. thinman

thinman Senior member

What other colors are there? [​IMG]

Why space colors, of course!

You guys are brutal. Not only do I not coordinate earth tones well, but I don't speak no good neither.

8. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

You guys are brutal. Not only do I not coordinate earth tones well, but I don't speak no good neither.

Ha, I wasn't making fun of you, thinman. I was alluding to my own preference for earth colors.

9. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Nice jacket. [​IMG]

+1 - well done MC.

10. mt_spiffy

mt_spiffy Senior member

A few I really liked that didnt make the cut:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]