1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Color and style sportscoat to go with dark navy trousers?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mcfmcf, Apr 13, 2011.

1. VelvetGreen

VelvetGreen Senior member

Master_Classter has just provided pictorial proof of my contribution!

2. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

I have a brown/rust district check coat that looks great with navy trousers. I is baffled why they don't get more love. Probably b/c they can't be worn with the most common of all odd coats - the blazer.

3. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

So i have a 2 button sport coat with this cloth that a took a quick detail pic of. just picked up a pair of navy trousers and wondering if this would work woith them. [​IMG]

4. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

Grey or brown sport coats, even seer sucker.

Agreed, I recently wore a seersucker jacket to a wedding, with blue trousers. Brown would also look good with navy.

5. Mr. White

Mr. White Senior member

6. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

See? The very idea is so removed from your existence that it seems unreal to you.

What on earth are you talking about? You really are a silly man.

7. MadAboutPlaid

MadAboutPlaid Senior member

Grey or brown sport coats, even seer sucker.

+1

I have a chocolate brown sportcoat with a faint blue windowpane plaid that is one of my favorites. Looks great with blue pants and gets a lot of compliments.

8. Mr. White

Mr. White Senior member

9. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

Go back to the Australian Members thread where you belong.

If that is is supposed to intimidate me you failed miserably. I will not be replying to further provocation from you on this thread as I frankly have better things to do with my time than respond to your inane offerings.

10. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm still not sold on navy pants with a sport coat. Somehow I always think gray or tan look better.

11. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

So i have a 2 button sport coat with this cloth that a took a quick detail pic of. just picked up a pair of navy trousers and wondering if this would work woith them.

[​IMG]

anyone?

12. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

^ navy pants might work with that, but it also might come off as too "outfit-y" since navy is so predominant in the pattern. I'd go with gray. Sounds boring, but I think it would look better.

13. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

14. landshark

landshark Senior member

From the evidence presented in this thread, I hereby renounce the rule, "No navy odd trousers."

15. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

^ navy pants might work with that, but it also might come off as too "outfit-y" since navy is so predominant in the pattern. I'd go with gray. Sounds boring, but I think it would look better.

Agree with you on this one.

16. RyanM

RyanM Senior member

I have them in flannel, cotton canvas, and chinos. I like navy trousers for something to wear more casually, sort of like an alternative to jeans. Maybe with just a grey sweater or cardigan for example. But technically in terms of colour I think navy 'goes' with almost anything...

17. gyalos

gyalos Senior member

Are "navy pants" the new "black suit"?

18. S. Magnozzi

S. Magnozzi Senior member

Very hard to pair jackets with navy odd trousers. That's one reason they are unpopular around here.

Indeed, I only wear my navy flannels in casual settings where jackets are not required. Looks pretty good with a camel or grey jumper and a Forestière or some such.

19. barims

barims Senior member

My burgundy and purple jackets have worked very well with my navy trousers

Otherwise, Master Classter offered the best evidence, thus far

20. apropos

apropos Senior member

Browns go beautifully with blue trousers, in particular if your pants are not a fine business worsted weave I have seen a sand/beige SC go very well with navy herringbone pants. Accent with tan/chestnut. The hate on this forum for navy pants primarily stems from the influence of 2 people: [​IMG] and manton. And then you have all the johnny come latelys trying to prove their e-street cred to each other by trying to outdo each other in clothing fundamentalism.