1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Color and style sportscoat to go with dark navy trousers?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mcfmcf, Apr 13, 2011.

1. mcfmcf

mcfmcf Active Member

Just got a pair of dark navy blue slacks - flat front, micropatterning but essentially a plain navy - and I have no idea for a sportscoat/blazer to look for!

Any advice on color and style would be much appreciated.

2. acecow

acecow Senior member

I'd like to see some ideas, too. I bought a pair of midnight navy wool trousers before joining SF and they've been hanging in my closet ever since. I'd love to wear them with something.

3. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Very hard to pair jackets with navy odd trousers. That's one reason they are unpopular around here.

4. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

Something patterny without too much navy in it.

You absolutely don't want anything that almost matches. Also avoid other shades of blue. You aren't the cops or a car repairman.

5. Mr. White

Mr. White Senior member

6. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

Edit: the general thinking is that upper-class people prefer strong contrast and differing but complimentary colors, while lower-class people prefer matching as exactly as possible. I don't know your class background or the people you associate with, so I can't say.

? What does class have to do with anything? In any case, I can't get behind blue with navy trousers. Far too uniformy.

7. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Try any jacket with a blue pattern. I have a hunter green jacket with a blue overcheck that works well, and also a H&S tan jacket (SherryKash - Parker, you'd recognize it) that would look good with blue pants, if not quite with navy. I've a light grey russian weave from RL that goes with navy also.

The jacket in Parker's signature might also be worth a look.

8. Mr. White

Mr. White Senior member

9. JoziKilos

JoziKilos Member

Navy trousers can look very stylish and classy.

I would pair it with a grey sportcoat for a sleek look.
    For a more standout look, maybe try a light khaki blazer.

10. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

I can see why you earned that rebuke Mr White from Apropos. Are you for real?

11. bhall41

bhall41 Senior member

Back on topic, I also think a grey sports jacket is a good match for navy trousers.

12. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Sorry, don't have a normal pic

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

And moleskin

[​IMG]

14. Spong

Spong Well-Known Member

Forgive me if I stray into nonsense, I'm simply thinking aloud, but would it work to pair navy trou with a fairly bold jacket? I'm not necessarily talking balls-out, bright red, highland tartan but some sort of bold check SC or perhaps, at a push, even a loud and/or striped boating blazer?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Also this just posted in WAYWRN by MalfordOfLondon.

15. landshark

landshark Senior member

Grey or brown sport coats, even seer sucker.

16. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

Just bought this cloth for a SC. I am thinking of navy flannel trousers to go with it [​IMG]

17. rossyl

rossyl Senior member

18. VelvetGreen

VelvetGreen Senior member

This thread is relevant to my interests - one of my preferred pairs of trousers is a set of navy blue moleskins. I have worn them with green corduroy and grey herringbone wool jackets, and even a Gieves hacking jacket in a rather 'out-there' green and pumpkin-coloured check.

[​IMG] I find it all actually comes down to your choice of shoes and belt. A good idea, for example, is a brown leather belt with a pair of dark brown brogues. Brown acts as a good 'bridging' colour which allows you to wear a grey/green/tweed jacket on top. The end result is a pleasing tritone earthy/country/naval palate. When it comes to shirts, blue trousers tend to 'demand' a blue shirt, but I would always stick to a stripe pattern or a check at a stretch; plain blue-on-blue doesn't work so well.

Black shoes necessitate a dark grey or even black jacket for the sake of balance. But you run the risk of looking like a chimney sweep. I have to say I usually avoid wearing black footwear with navy blue trousers for this reason.

19. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

They're navy pants... how hard can it be? Pics below. Otherwise, just picture a navy sportscoat.... what color pants would you wear? now inverse the colors/objects.

Dark Brown
    [​IMG]

Redish Brown / rust
    [​IMG]

Mid Brown
    [​IMG]

Camel
    [​IMG]

Beige
    [​IMG]

Light Blue
    [​IMG]

Charcoal
    [​IMG]

Light Grey
    [​IMG]

20. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

I know they don't get much love around here, but I have a couple of pair of navy trousers and wear them frequently. I pair them most with these two jackets:

Tan with cream windowpane
    [​IMG]

Olive glen plaid:

[​IMG]