• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Color and Complexion

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A good illustration of color and complexion from CNN today . . .

ogbem0.jpg

Notice both are wearing blue suits, blue tie, and white shirts. However, their blues are well matched to their complexion.

Obama's a winter by Carole Jackson's Color For Men System, and his navy blue suit is deep and intense.

Bush's a summer, and his blue suit is more grayed and muted, appropriate for him.

Their ties are also colored well. Obama's is a true vibrant blue color (a true color is one with a balance of black, white, yellow, and blue - i.e. not too light or dark, and not too cool or warm). Bush's blue tie is more muted with a grayish influence. Both well chosen.

Even their shirts are well chosen. Obama's shirt is crisp, clear white, whereas Bush's is a softer white.

The end result? I see them, and they look good. I am not distracted by the possible clash between their complexion and what they wear, color being the most prevalent component of design.

To me the hardest part of learning the sartorial arts has to do with color. It probably has to do with the men-women differences in thinking - as fit, silhouette, and proportion all seem to come easy to me whereas I have to struggle a bit more to really grasp color concepts.

Although I've been learning Jackson's system since the early 80s and have seen it well applied in the fashion world, even now I still see new angles to the system each time I revisit it.

- M

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If I post a picture of my face, will you tell me my color and complexion, and what colors I should wear? I probably won't change, but I have never been able to figure the idea of color seasons out, and not knowing has always frustrated me.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
If I post a picture of my face, will you tell me my color and complexion, and what colors I should wear? I probably won't change, but I have never been able to figure the idea of color seasons out, and not knowing has always frustrated me.

You're an Autumn.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
You're an Autumn.

From the SF in SF photos I would agree, but I'd like to see more of a natural lighting closeup of the undertones of his skin.

If the undertones are golden, then yes.

- M

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look out, bmulford might go all dreamy...
devil.gif

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bush could use some more work; his suit/shirt/tie combo is still too sharp a contrast for his complexion. Perhaps a light pink or pale blue shirt will make his face stand out a little bit more.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And what season is binge???

bounce2.gif

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn
... differences in thinking - as fit, silhouette, and proportion all seem to come easy to me whereas I have to struggle a bit more to really grasp color concepts.

Although I've been learning Jackson's system since the early 80s and have seen it well applied in the fashion world, even now I still see new angles to the system each time I revisit it.

- M

One question here (I was reading your post on and on): is Jacksons system working (Is there anything which works better?)?

I bought the book and I am impressed. Up to now I am working on it for two month (That's not much) and would like to participate of your experience.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Perhaps a light pink or pale blue shirt will make his face stand out a little bit more.

Agree with the paler and lighter (but not "icy"), but I think blue and pink would make him look too "sartorial" and not "political" enough.

- M

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by justsayno
detecting mint, vanilla, and a hint of crushed coffee beans

Wrong sense, although the olfactory bulb is just as big as the optic nerves . . .
smile.gif

- M

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
Up to now I am working on it for two month (That's not much) and would like to participate of your experience.

Initially I just cared about what colors might fit me.

The "studying since the 80's" is expanding to the rest of the systems (seasons) so whenever I see something I can participate in reacting colorwise.

The hardest part to understand for me was the "undertones" of the skin. That took a while.

- M

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always have the hardest time finding something to complement the color of my horn...

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
I always have the hardest time finding something to complement the color of my horn...

Binge,

You should try smiling.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads