1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Colonoscopy Discussion

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by MyOtherLife, Feb 25, 2012.

1. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

On Monday February 27, 2012 it is Colonoscopy Day...for me, that is.
    To gain strength I watched these 2 videos:

Colonoscopy:
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

and...

Katie Couric's Colonoscopy
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I can't deny I am very nervous about this.
    Anyone have this done already?
    Were you awake or asleep?
    Was it painful during or after?
    Please discuss. I need some re-assuring. Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  2. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Good luck, butty. I mean buddy.

3. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

I have colon cancer on both sides, so I know the scope is round the corner for me. Others in my family say no big deal. And
    1. however weird it might feel for us it's all in a day's work for the medicos.
    2. It's better than having 2 ft of gut removed, or worse.[​IMG]

4. MyOtherLife

:embar: thanks Moo.

I am sorry to read this Pliny. They removed 2 ft of your intestines? Is everything ok now? or are you on a special diet as a result of the surgery?

5. Siwash

Siwash Senior member

yeah I had one, there was a small amount of pain, but the dope is pretty good, just man up...you'll be fine

6. sjmin209

sjmin209 Senior member

What procedure are you having done? If it's a sigmoidoscopy (only the lower part of the colon), you'll likely be awake. There's minor discomfort with this, but nothing I'd describe as pain.
    If you have a full colonoscopy, they'll probably put you out. No pain at all.

7. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

cheers but nah- I mean both sides of my family. My father and maternal g-mother both had bowel removed, but Dad's still going strong 10 yrs later. Brother and sister have both had a colonoscopy and say it's no big deal. I'm glad u brought this up tho - I need to arrange for one myself.

8. MyOtherLife

Siwash, thank you.
    sjmin209, I am having the full procedure done. They did tell me I will be asleep during the procedure.
    Pliny, thank you for clarifying.

I was told at the hospital that 1 in 4,000 people have complications. One example is if a person has a thin walled G.I. tract the camera device could possibly scratch or even puncture the colon and in that case the patient would have to undergo another procedure to place a colostomy bag until the puncture heals. This, and anesthesia is what I find particularily frightening. I know I am being a baby about it but still, they are risks. I am resolved to have this done and after that I'll see how I feel about it all. I appreciate everyone ringing in on this. It is giving me the mental strength I need.

9. sjmin209

sjmin209 Senior member

MoL,

Honestly, it's the easiest procedure I've ever had done. A dental cleaning involves more discomfort. And while it's true that there are potential complications (as there are with any procedure), the incidence is very, very low. I'm sure you'll be fine.

10. meister

meister Senior member

It is no big thing. But I put it off for years with family history. I had worries about an anaesthesia issue I have and put it off. They found one cancerous during a colonoscopy so I had a resection. No big deal and I make sure to have followups. If I did not have it I might have full blown bowel cancer now. Just sayin'...

11. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I had one a couple years ago. It was completely painless, and what Michael Jackson called his "milk", made for an excellent nap. The worst part was the prep, I mean it was something awful.

12. MyOtherLife

Great responses everyone!
    JayJay....I am going to start the 'prep' in about 2 hours from now..lulz. I won't do a play-by-play. It's better for others to experience the joys without warning. I'll certainly be glad when this is over.
    I was thinking ov having my gf write a message to the doctor, in ballpoint on my backside, 'Abandon all hope, all ye who enter here'.

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I trust the prep is going well? Just remember, this is the absolute worst part. Good luck!

14. MyOtherLife

UPDATE-
    All done. You were right JayJay, the Klean-Prep was the worst part of it.
    Had to take 4 of these Dulcolax pills
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I had to drink 4 litres of Klean Prep.....yeccch!...and the afterglow that came with it.
    So today I had the procedure done. They put me completely to sleep. It was, literally, like flipping the lights off and on again. It was over before I knew what hit me.
    So far I feel no trace of having had anything inside me so my thanks to the doctor who performed the procedure and my recommendation for the RUDD Clinic at 123 Edward Street in Toronto.
    I am Polyp-Free, yehoo! :)
    I would like to thank all of you gents for the support. I was worried for nothing and consider myself fortunate.
    May this thread serve for posterity (pun intended) to those who are next.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  15. sjmin209

sjmin209 Senior member

Glad to hear the procedure went well, & more so that the results were so good.

16. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

+1000.