• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Colognes

Oddly Familiar

Reaction score
What is everyones favorite cologne? What is a terrible cologne to buy? What are some rules/tips for buying a fragrence? Where can I buy designer colognes?

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do some searching of the forum and you should be able to find a ton of information. I think there is a near-identical thread ongoing in Body Consciousness right now.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's what i posted on askandy: I know i must sound like a commercial, but since you guys don't live near me i'm in no danger of anyone copying my cologne ideas-- you really should check these two out-- very, very cool. The first two are a solid tie for the best i've ever tried. 1. Blu Meditteraneo Sicilian Almond Collection; absolutely cool and different, attracts pretty girls. http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store....&cmCat= 2. I can't find it anywhere online, very limited release-- but the Dallas Northpark Neiman Marcus store has it Etro's newest cologne for me, I think it is Etra by Etro For Men. Probably the coolist, slickest cologne i have ever tried; also attracts pretty girls. ph. 214-363-8311 800-756-5784 400 NorthPark Center Dallas, TX 75225 2. Paul Smith colognes-- heard they are nice, remember the scents being pretty good: http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/store....d570006

Mr Checks

Reaction score
Burberry Touch (available everywhere)

It's a subtle scent that doesn't jump out at someone. Just kind of 'there' without calling attention to itself.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Old Spice - Walgreens
wink.gif

gqelements

Reaction score
john varvatos [the latest, black glass bottle w/leather wrap]
older Lacoste [not the 2005 red botle, the clear one]

sorry for not being specific...

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI, the Creed/Bond store on Mad and the lower 60s still has their perpetual Creed sale in full effect. You can pick up the 4 oz. bottes in a variety of different scents for $87.50 plus tax (50% off). I was going to buy a bottle of MI until I decided that: A) I already own 3 bottes of cologne I hardly ever wear, B) I won't be wearing cologne anytime in the near future, and C) I need to save for my broker's fee.

HoustonBusiness

Reaction score
Hermes Rocobar. Got it from one of the shops in the Harwin district of Houston.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of all the colognes I've ever worn, women unanimously love Paul Sebastian.

dacs7

Reaction score
Creed Vetiver is very nice, subtle. Whatever it is, I think it's important people can't smell it more than about 18" away from you.
tounge.gif

aybojs

Reaction score
Check out Basenotes. Probably the first thing you should do is figure out what sort of fragrance type you're looking for; e.g. do you want a light citrusy smell, a woody one, a stronger vanilla-type one, etc? Once you've nailed that, you could skim the site to see which brand falls in which category and make a shortlist so you can try them out at a department store or cosmetic store and see what works for you. Buying online will save you a good deal of money as well. Probably the other thing to remember is to stay away from the super popular colognes, such as Acqua di Gio, Cool Water, and L'eau de Issey because the whole point is to find your own fragrance, not wear something everyone else does already.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love smelling new colognes when I shop but I never buy b/c I never wear any. I did buy RLPL last year, but that is the 1st I've purchased in at least 3 years. I think the one before that was Emporio Armani. I would like to buy once in a while but it would be a huge waste of money.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dillard's/Foley's will have a couple of higher-end designer fragrances, but your best bet is Neiman's/Saks/Nordstrom.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads