1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cologne Recommendations for a Young Professional

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by statelessrich, Jul 27, 2012.

1. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Tom Ford has some amazing eau de parfum. Neimans carries it. Although most of the scents are for women, several are unisex. I bought Portifino for my wife and have been enjoying Italian Cypress and Amber Absolute samples that they gave me. They are complex, elegant and yet quite masculine. I used to buy Creed and Aqua de Parma but I think I will stick to Tom Ford moving forward.

2. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

Tobacco Vanille (aside from Kilian's -- A Taste Of Heaven) is the best, imo. Love TF.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Tobacco Vanilla is on of the most popular for men. It is men's club meets vanilla aroma. I didn't mention it because the OP doesn't like vanilla. I agree with him except when making French toast :)

4. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I wouldn't say you're out of luck, but it might be misleading especially to yourself when you seek counsel from us or retail associates to categorically state you don't like vanilla scents - vanilla is a component to many scents that you will probably like or love but could potentially overlook them in your search. In my experience with perfumes (to me everything, both male and female are "perfumes" and you might want to use that wording when talking to retailers so you don't miss anything that an uneducated person might consider to be strictly "feminine") there can be a perfume that is heavy in a component that you may historically dislike but is so well blended that you end up loving it and it creates a different perspective when you smell other perfumes that you may have disliked in the past. For example, I used to dislike vetiver until I sprayed Chanel's Sycomore on my arm and there was then no looking back after that experience.

Speaking of Sycomore and vetiver, you might want to try Lalique's Encre Noire, a fantastic deal for its quality. It's not leather but is an elegant evening scent.

5. statelessrich

statelessrich Member

I just read some reviews of Encre Noire on Basenotes, and it sounds great. I'll add it to my list of perfumes to try.