1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cologne Recommendations for a Young Professional

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by statelessrich, Jul 27, 2012.

1. statelessrich

statelessrich Member

Hi all,

I'm a 22 year old professional looking for a signature scent, mostly for evening/night. I've tried the following:

Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya
    Bois du Portugal
    Terre D'Hermes
    Bvlgari Black

GIT is by far my favorite of these. I love the smell of leather, so I've been looking into Spanish Leather by Trumper and Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford. But I'm open to any kinds of suggestions.

I don't like vanilla scents though.

Please give a description of the scent. It'll save me lots of googling time :)

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  2. jc4jax

jc4jax Well-Known Member

High Karate.

Just joking, I myself rarely wear cologne, generally just aftershave and I leave it that.

3. jt10000

jt10000 Senior member

4. jt10000

jt10000 Senior member

More seriously, Bulgari Black, Bulgari Green Tea, Bulgari Red Tea are all great.

5. statelessrich

statelessrich Member

I have a sample of Bvlgari Black. I mostly smell vanilla, and I don't like vanilla scents.

6. b1os

b1os Senior member

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  7. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

High end: Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille OR KIllian A Taste Of Heaven (Imo the best)
    Mid range: Polo (green bottle)

8. statelessrich

statelessrich Member

Thanks for the link. I've read through quite a few cologne threads here already, but thought I needed a more personalized thread. I'm very picky :)

9. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

This has everything you need to know about cologne.

10. b1os

b1os Senior member

Wha? Tobacco Vanille is about as much vanille a scent can get.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  11. JunyaYamamoto

JunyaYamamoto Senior member

i love terre d'hermes, so much in fact i bought a huge bottle of the parfum. but it's really a mature scent, for someone 30+ yo imo.

12. Joker Man

Joker Man Senior member

Evening? Armani (the original one)

Day? something light like Pino Sylvestri or Canoe

13. Joker Man

Joker Man Senior member

30 is a young man kid.[​IMG]

14. ezlau

ezlau Senior member

My personal favorite is Creed Aventus. I have tried Tuscan leather before, and it is pretty damn strong and pungent, not really my liking. I'm more of a citrus/fresh scent kinda guy, which seems rather similar given the cologne choices that you had.

15. JunyaYamamoto

JunyaYamamoto Senior member

lol my bad.

16. sturm07

sturm07 Well-Known Member

If you are looking for a perfum that has a wooden scent, try the Dsquared Wood selection for Men, they have a few variation of wood smell. Personally, I would recommend Drakar Noir by Guy Laroche. It is a classic for night/evening for young Men. Also, you can try Paco Rabanne but, it is more of a perfum you would use if you are a smoker. Remember one simple thing. Good grade are divided in two classes. Italien and French perfum. Italian perfum is what comes out of the box. What it smells like in the bottle is what you will get. French perfum is a little more complicate. The smell will be chance base on the heat and your own sweat. The smell that is from the box IS NOT the smell you will get at the end.

17. statelessrich

statelessrich Member

I'm assuming Armani original is not Armani Code? How do they differ?

18. newyorknoir

newyorknoir Senior member

I use Acqua di Parma Mirto di Panarea during the warmer months and Bois Marocain by Tom Ford during the winter. You really have to do a trial and error and see what works for you.. Cologne doesn't smell the same on everyone. Also, think of your environment and the occasion.. I would never wear a "sensual" cologne to work. In fact, I never wear any kind of cologne to work..

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  19. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I find it peculiar that the OP doesn't like vanilla scents but loves leather scents because a component of the materials that make a "leather" scent are usually from wood tar, which have powerfully vanilla-like molecules from the lignin found in the wood that is burnt.

20. statelessrich

statelessrich Member

If they all have a strong vanilla smell, I suppose I'm out of luck as far as leather scents go. Thanks for that bit of information.