• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cologne gone bad?

ilmor

Reaction score
Hi guys. I bought a bottle of Angel Men about a month ago from Scentiments.com and it smelled nice and sweet. But I sprayed some on yesterday, and I just smelled like rubbing alcohol. I'm really confused because it smelled fine the day before yesterday. Any ideas as to what's happened?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you had it in direct sunlight, near a window, or near sources of heat (near a radiator, in your car, etc.)? Sunlight and heat, or really any massive variance in temperature, isn't good for fragrances. Sunlight, though, is probably the worse and can degrade the oils...

I keep mine in their boxes in the closet and my very best ones in a wine cooler set to a standard temperature.

I'm not saying that everybody should do this, but for best longevity, it's good to find a cool, dark, dry place for them.

ilmor

Reaction score
I keep it on top of my desk which doesn't get a whole lot of sunlight and my room is generally pretty cold.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ilmor
I keep it on top of my desk which doesn't get a whole lot of sunlight and my room is generally pretty cold.
It's entirely possible you just got a "bad bottle." That being said, for general practice, I'd start trying to keep your scents in the boxes, in a drawer or in a closet. Keep them out of the bathroom (humidity/heat), off the desk (light), certainly away from any windows, or radiators or heating/cooling vents, out of the car glovebox or console, and it may give you some better longevity. I've got some scents that are over 30 years old and they still smell fresh as the day they were made...
Originally Posted by garmentmerchant
Rach2jlc you are a true connesueir of fine scents. I have recommend several to your thread "fragrance of the day"
Thanks, garmentmerchant, for the compliment. It's nice to have a place like SF where one's superfluous/money-sucking hobbies get support... not ridicule.
wink.gif

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try it again once more on a different day to make sure your nose isn't having a day off. Otherwise, it could be bad somehow like others mentioned.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
Try it again once more on a different day to make sure your nose isn't having a day off. .
It's good that you brought this up; fatigue can definitely be an issue and if you've been using the same scent a lot regularly, your nose can "have a day off," as you mentioned. Hopefully, with the OP's bottle, this is the case and not a bad bottle. Nevertheless, the fact that he's still smelling alcohol is a bit worrisome...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads