• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cologne for me

newn

Reaction score
Since most of you here obviously care about your looks, I bet you care about your smell as well.

I'd like to buy some sort of cologne this/next week, but at the moment I don't know much about it. I would like it to reflect my personality, and I'm not looking for the cheapest stuff, but I hope I won't need to spend $100 on a small bottle either. That's just figure speech, in reality I don't know the prices. Yet.

My personality: driven, ambitious, future-oriented, open to new things, efficient, analytic, intuitive - the "good" kind of management. Very serious-looking, kind of a darker sense of humor, though preferring to appear very professional (comes naturally) - not the kind of guy who is "manly" (as in sports/stereotypes/etc.) or bureaucratic, but the kind of guy who is more likely to do something unconventional or change the rules. Have lots of interests, so can talk about a lot of different subjects, always have an answer. Most of the time - very direct and brutally honest.

That should've created an image in your mind, probably an assimilation to somebody you know in real life too. I'm a male in my early 20s. I'd prefer something unique instead of something every male uses.

Don't worry, I'm still gonna visit a store and get an idea of what smells how, but I want to have a list of something that'd fit me, rather than going through 30 different bottles.

Das Gaus

Reaction score
I just picked up John Varvatos Vintage today, it's incredible.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tom of Finland

newn

Reaction score

I just picked up John Varvatos Vintage today, it's incredible.

Smells pretty decent, but I think it's a bit too... "luxury" for me. What I mean is, it smells like you're the kinda guy who loves to relax by doing the "rich folk" stuff, like sailing, playing golf, etc.. I hate being relaxed - sounds odd, probably, but I like to always be doing something.

HOWEVER, so far it's the best smell that I've tried for this price range (1/5). Therefore, if I won't choose anything else, I'd feel ok (not good or great, but ok) with using this, for now at least. :)

Das Gaus

Reaction score
Lol. Yeah, I like to wear it when I hold horse races on my yacht.

newn

Reaction score

Lol. Yeah, I like to wear it when I hold horse races on my yacht.

What I meant was, it gives off the luxurious vibe. I don't know how to explain it, but I think it lacks sharpness.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Seriously though, a couple of VERY well-made but unpretentious fragrances are YSL Rive Gauche and Caron Third Man.

Last edited:

Maquis

Reaction score
I'd go for something from the Chanel Les Exclusifs line, like Sycomore or Eau de Cologne. A 75 ml bottle will run you around $120, but they are both exceptional fragrances. The Sycomore is a sophisticated and dark, smoky vetiver, and the Eau de Cologne is a bright citrus morning. Both are made from top-of-the-line materials...

Or maybe something from Hermès, like Voyage d'Hermes, Rocabar, or even Terre d'Hermès (even though that last one is a big seller, so you won't be the only one wearing it...) Overall I think it's better to pay a little bit more and get a dramatic leap in quality, than pay a lot less and risk getting cheap synthetics.

HORNS is right on the money, though, with theYSL Rive Gauche and Caron Third Man suggestions—they are both well made, classic, and very affordable. I would just add that Caron's Pour Un Homme could be a good one as well—it's a bit sweeter, with a nice creme brulée/vanilla & lavender accord (although I'm not sure what the current version is like—I'm using an older bottle as reference).

But, as you're aware, the only real way to find the right one for you is to try them out. A good way is to go to one of the perfume "decant" sites online (two are The Perfumed Court and Surrender To Chance, although there are others) and get small samples of perfumes. The Perfumed Court also has a collection of the "top ten" rated perfumes by Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez from their Perfume Guide that you can buy as sample set. I think it's a good way to start to understand quality. And as with anything worthwhile, you have to put some time, energy, and smarts into it to reap the benefits. Fragrances are no different...

Jimmy D

Reaction score
Creed Aventus END OF THREAD LOCK IT UP BOYS. /basenotes

Excellent source. Not sure what I did before this site. Haven't had the opportunity to check out Aventus yet but apparently there's a lot of buzz.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads