• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collonil Gold Premium Leather Polish

wesos

Reaction score
The Collonil website states: Restoring cream formula SX3 strengthens, cleans and conditions valuable smooth leather.

Can anyone comment on their experience with this product? Is this a conditioner that can be put on good Northampton leather as a substitute for Lexol, Reno etc?

The mysterious SX3 ingredient intrigues me. I hope it isn't silicone-based!

Cheers

Maximus Mark

Reaction score
Colonil makes the shoe polishes for AE (rebranded). This cream might be part of it.
They're generally well-regarded.

wesos

Reaction score
FYI:

"Collonil Gold Premium contains waxes, greases, fluorocarbon resins, silicones, hydrocarbon solvents, emulsifiers, preserving agents, perfume oils and water, but no turpentine."

- Collonil Product Safety Department

Not quite sure what to make of this. I would have recoiled in horror at the thought of a silicone conditioner, but apparently Mink Oil (used in Saphir Reno) contains silicone also.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mink oil is mink oil, not sure how you deduced the silicone part.

wesos

Reaction score
i'm not a chemist and make no claims to understanding the physical properties of these products and how they affect leather. I rely on web wisdom. So I found this pretty informative :

"Mink Oil- is an emulsion of lard and petroleum-based silicone oils. Like saddle soap and Lanolin it tends to be greasy. The silicone oils ‘seal’ the leather pores causing the product to ‘sit’ on the surface, making it unsuitable for upholstery seating surfaces.

If Mink oil has been used to clean/condition a leather surface, it should be removed with a citrus-based product (P21SÂÂ
00ae.png
Total Auto Wash) to remove the silicone oils and grease, otherwise future conditioners will be unable to permeate the leather causing it to dry out, become brittle and crack." (sorry about symbols; don't know what those words were)

Also this:

"Here is what Lexol has to say about Mink oil:

Q. I've seen "Mink Oil" used in leather conditioners. Is Mink Oil a valid conditioning oil?
A. Yes it is. We do not use it in Lexol products but it is a valid conditioning oil. "Mink Oil" is a euphemistic name for liquefied pig fat and silicone. Like Lanolin, it's very greasy and typically unsuitable for leather upholstery. Mink oil is most often used on heavy boots or other hard-working leathers."

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sadly Lexol statements put many innocent manufacturers in a bad light. I think they were referring to Kiwi, which coincidentally has a "fake" Mink Oil conditioner (with silicone) on the market.

paskaldjay

Reaction score
I prefer using Collonil 1909 Leather Lotion. Absorb well into the leather , smooth it out & got a nice smell too! Buff it well & the shoes will have a simple luster

cgo

Reaction score
I've used Collonil Gold Premium for years before I discover Saphir. It works great in general but I still prefer the saphir

neato

Reaction score
I was interested in purchasing a few Allen Edmonds Premium Shoe Polish tubes. I have two questions: First, does this product include silicone? I had a bad experience using one of those water-proofing silicone sprays on a pair of shoes a few years ago. Second, is it wax, or is it a cream, or is it a combination of wax/cream?

I've used Kiwi for years but I'd like to try this if it's silicone free and has at least some wax in it that will protect my shoes from the elements :)

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a cream polish as opposed to a wax. Based on the above comments, it does indeed contain silicone. I have had no problems using it and have never heard of any issues from others.

EDIT: I don't think wax will give you very much protection fro the elements in any event.

Last edited:

neato

Reaction score
In other threads (see below), some people say it is a combination of wax and cream.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/259742/allen-edmonds-shoe-care#post_4732474
http://www.styleforum.net/t/67332/allen-edmonds-shoe-cream#post_1093790
http://www.styleforum.net/t/67332/allen-edmonds-shoe-cream#post_4781115

But other people say it's just cream, like in this topic and here:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/67332/allen-edmonds-shoe-cream#post_1094961

Maybe the silicone in this AE polish isn't that bad. I used a Kiwi silicone spray that dramatically darkened a pair of brown shoes and it definitely changed the texture of the leather, too.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's a cream polish as opposed to a wax. Based on the above comments, it does indeed contain silicone. I have had no problems using it and have never heard of any issues from others.
EDIT: I don't think wax will give you very much protection fro the elements in any event.

what does then?

neato

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just found this video from Allen Edmonds, which answers my second question (I think?):

I guess the only problem I have with the video is if Collonil is a cream, then is Allen Edmonds Premium Polish something different since AE says it's a wax/cream combo?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

what does then?

Here's what I use:

Fritz, I didn't say wax won't give you some protection. It won't waterproof your shoes though.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Here's what I use:
Fritz, I didn't say wax won't give you some protection. It won't waterproof your shoes though.

ah, i see. well from my personal experience it depends of the leather. i had shoes "waterproofed" with wax and others didn't respond too much. it's a try and error process.

personally, i wouldn't wear galoshes. not my steez.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 27 17.6%

Forum statistics

Threads