• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collegiate signet rings

lmaligaya

Reaction score
I am assuming you are talking about class rings? I am from MIT, and legend has it that the MIT "Brass Rat" is one of the most recognizable rings in the world, up there with a pro sports championship rings, armed forces rings, and the pope's ring. Most people would not wear it, but many MIT grads do. I have one and would wear it if it fit better. I should get it resized before i graduate
Brass_Rat_2007_Finger.jpg

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lmaligaya
I am assuming you are talking about class rings? I am from MIT, and legend has it that the MIT "Brass Rat" is one of the most recognizable rings in the world, up there with a pro sports championship rings, armed forces rings, and the pope's ring. Most people would not wear it, but many MIT grads do. I have one and would wear it if it fit better. I should get it resized before i graduate

Brass_Rat_2007_Finger.jpg

I respect the total fugliness of it. It is hands down the most hideously tacky design ever, it is soo ugly that it becomes cool. Technical universities traditionally have very little eye for aesthethics so it is consistent with that.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It always seems like a good idea when I am about to graduate, but then I remember that I would never wear one.

I do think that I'll get my diplomas framed to hang on the home office wall.

K

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
What's that beaver doing?

- B

I think he is slapping the bishop the MIT way.
Innovative? yes.
tasteful? no.

lmaligaya

Reaction score
the design changes every year to reflect what the graduating class has gone through/ major milestones. the overall looks is always the same, and the bever usually holds symbolic stuff. in the pic above, the beaver is in front of some new mit buildings, holding a diploma and an hourglass. the brass rat is cool because of tradition, and many of the graduate's friends/co-workers/social circle recognize it. they are also issued at the end of sophomore year, and about 90% of the class ~900 people end up buying one to wear in school and afterwards. more previous designs here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT_class_ring

younglaw

Reaction score

I hope you were joking when you said it was as recognizable around the world as the other rings you listed.. If you were referring to the other school across the river I'd give it to you.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by younglaw
I hope you were joking when you said it was as recognizable around the world as the other rings you listed.. If you were referring to the other school across the river I'd give it to you.

fight[1].gif

Oh snap!

lurker[1].gif

Eagle

Reaction score
If you are attending or a graduate of the school, why not? Have you not earned the right?
butbut.gif

sfnewbie

Reaction score
the MIT "Brass Rat" is one of the most recognizable rings in the world, up there with a pro sports championship rings, armed forces rings, and the pope's ring.
Now that's an interesting bit of information. I don't believe it, but interesting. And I vote for the ugly factor.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if I had an MIT ring, I'd wear it.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by younglaw
haha it's just a legend!

Flieger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now where is that ring Edmorel wears occasionally? You know, down there?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads