1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Collegiate signet rings

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by merkur, Nov 10, 2008.

1. maufic

maufic Senior member

In Canada when someone graduates with an engineering degree they're given whats known as the Iron Ring. Along with the ring there is a private ceremony where all graduating engineers recite a statement of ethics for young engineers. The Iron Ring represents the engineer's responsibility to society, it is not meant to be a fashion accessory and is relatively simple (it looks similiar to a wedding band and is worn on the pinky of your drawing hand). Many engineers in Canada wear the ring throughout there careers because of what it represents. The ring is then given when you retire.

I personnaly don't have problem with class rings but I find that most are really ugly and I wouldn't wear one.

I also have never heard of the "brass rat" and doubt it is as recognizable as the pope's ring.

2. RJmanbearpig

RJmanbearpig Senior member

If you're a graduate of the Ivy League - sure.
    No, I hear they avoid rings as too conspicuous to the hoi polloi. They instead do the secret Ivy League handshake that they're taught at commencement when they get their diplomas. I've said too much -- teh Skulls are out to get me!

In Canada when someone graduates with an engineering degree they're given whats known as the Iron Ring.
    Sounds like something ed's dates might wear.

3. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I'm not a fan of jewelry, except watches and wedding rings.

4. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

I'm not a fan of jewelry, except watches and wedding rings.

That leads me to ask how many rings polygamists wear?

Anyone know? RJ?

- B

5. voxsartoria

Playing with wood.

I crown this the best response.

- B

6. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

In Texas, if you graduated from UT Austin, Texas A&M, or Texas Tech, it's normal to see school rings. Texas A&M is really big on the school ring while Texas Tech and UT are still big but not all crazy about it like A&M.

I'm not too sure about UT Austin but I know Texas A&M and Texas Tech don't do class rings. They do school rings so every year the design is the same. I wear my ring and it's usually a good conversation starter.

Somebody may have to correct me about A&M not having class rings but I know Tech doesn't show the year you graduate on the ring.

7. AgentQ

AgentQ Senior member

Sorry Lawrence, but I can't say I find that brass rat very recognizable at all.

8. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I am from MIT, and legend has it that the MIT "Brass Rat" is one of the most recognizable rings in the world, up there with a pro sports championship rings, armed forces rings, and the pope's ring.

Is this a joke?

9. danyllau

danyllau Senior member

Is this a joke?

Is that a MIT tourist souvenirs ? I can recognize a Gucci GG ring much better.

10. voxsartoria

Is this a joke?

Not among nerds.

- B

11. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Not among nerds.

- B

I've never seen that ring before in my life... and I'm pretty nerdy.

12. manouche

manouche Senior member

13. voxsartoria

I've never seen that ring before in my life... and I'm pretty nerdy.

Not nerdy enough.

I have always thought the Vassar ring is nice:

[​IMG]

I can also live with simple signet rings with mirror image crests. I stopped wearing mine a few months after school, though.

- B