Collegiate signet rings

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by merkur, Nov 10, 2008.

1. merkur

merkur Senior member

2. lmaligaya

lmaligaya Senior member

I am assuming you are talking about class rings? I am from MIT, and legend has it that the MIT "Brass Rat" is one of the most recognizable rings in the world, up there with a pro sports championship rings, armed forces rings, and the pope's ring. Most people would not wear it, but many MIT grads do. I have one and would wear it if it fit better. I should get it resized before i graduate [​IMG]

3. Flieger

Flieger Senior member

I am assuming you are talking about class rings? I am from MIT, and legend has it that the MIT "Brass Rat" is one of the most recognizable rings in the world, up there with a pro sports championship rings, armed forces rings, and the pope's ring. Most people would not wear it, but many MIT grads do. I have one and would wear it if it fit better. I should get it resized before i graduate

[​IMG]

I respect the total fugliness of it. It is hands down the most hideously tacky design ever, it is soo ugly that it becomes cool. Technical universities traditionally have very little eye for aesthethics so it is consistent with that.

4. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

What's that beaver doing?

- B

5. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

It always seems like a good idea when I am about to graduate, but then I remember that I would never wear one.

I do think that I'll get my diplomas framed to hang on the home office wall.

K

6. Flieger

Flieger Senior member

What's that beaver doing?

- B

I think he is slapping the bishop the MIT way.
    Innovative? yes.
    tasteful? no.

7. lmaligaya

lmaligaya Senior member

the design changes every year to reflect what the graduating class has gone through/ major milestones. the overall looks is always the same, and the bever usually holds symbolic stuff. in the pic above, the beaver is in front of some new mit buildings, holding a diploma and an hourglass. the brass rat is cool because of tradition, and many of the graduate's friends/co-workers/social circle recognize it. they are also issued at the end of sophomore year, and about 90% of the class ~900 people end up buying one to wear in school and afterwards. more previous designs here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT_class_ring

8. younglaw

younglaw Well-Known Member

I am assuming you are talking about class rings? I am from MIT, and legend has it that the MIT "Brass Rat" is one of the most recognizable rings in the world, up there with a pro sports championship rings, armed forces rings, and the pope's ring. Most people would not wear it, but many MIT grads do. I have one and would wear it if it fit better. I should get it resized before i graduate

I hope you were joking when you said it was as recognizable around the world as the other rings you listed.. If you were referring to the other school across the river I'd give it to you.

9. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I hope you were joking when you said it was as recognizable around the world as the other rings you listed.. If you were referring to the other school across the river I'd give it to you.

[​IMG]

Oh snap!

[​IMG]

10. Eagle

Eagle Senior member

If you are attending or a graduate of the school, why not? Have you not earned the right? [​IMG]

11. sfnewbie

sfnewbie Well-Known Member

the MIT "Brass Rat" is one of the most recognizable rings in the world, up there with a pro sports championship rings, armed forces rings, and the pope's ring.
    Now that's an interesting bit of information. I don't believe it, but interesting. And I vote for the ugly factor.

12. merkur

merkur Senior member

13. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

if I had an MIT ring, I'd wear it.

14. haganah

haganah Senior member

haha it's just a legend!

15. Flieger

Flieger Senior member

Now where is that ring Edmorel wears occasionally? You know, down there?