1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

College Wardrobe- What to wear?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Dostoevsky, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

There is no reason for you not to buy desert boots or J. Crew, they are good for what they are.

However, getting in shape will provide your more benefits in college than any amount of clothing.

2. voijeans

voijeans New Member

At your age and in college life you should wear more casual wear in the funky manner, casual t shits with trousers and you can also try jeans with shirts whatever you prefer more..Try and see whats on the current wage on people around you and you can have idea from that.

----------------------
    Voi Jeans

3. AMG1

AMG1 Senior member

I guess well fitting jeans and a nice shirt would do. I would suggest to go to Venice or Padua and buy 9.2 jeans(they can´t be found on the Internet), and get a MTM or bespoke shirt with some nice shoes.

4. digga

digga Senior member

any suggestions for sportcoats that are casual enough to make infrequent appearances in class? at public school.

5. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

No, it would be fine, and frankly I think you could get away with even a little farther up the formality scale without undue attention. Strands, for example. Here's the thing about buying good footwear in college. Unlike the rest of your clothes, your shoe size probably won't change all that much in the first few years you're out of school. Unlike the rest of your clothes, these shoes won't go out of style in the first few years you're out of school. I think this is the place to spend money.

As for SC that would not be inappropriate in class, I don't personally see anything wrong with tweed as long as it isn't too over the top. Then again, I live in Milwaukee and we appreciate a bit of warmth here. Maybe I'll come back to this thread after classes start in a few weeks and I see what my students are wearing. 2 years ago I had a student who "suited up" one day a week. It didn't stand out all that much. Well, not as much as his blue hair did. See, in college you can do anything.

6. dredwings19

dredwings19 Well-Known Member

You can go to college wearing Pyjamas, flip flops, blue hair, red hair, college t-shirts,etc. It doesn't matter at all what you wear to college. So unless you really want to go for style at this age and know that you're going into an office job, it's sort of a waste of money to spend money on suiting and such at this time.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  7. DreStylez

DreStylez Member

Chinos since they can be dressed up or down.
    A pair of dark selvedge denim.
    Several staple OCBDs and simple T's.
    A sportcoat or two. You can never go wrong with a navy and grey one.
    Finally, a few staple pairs of shoes. I'd add a pair of sneakers to that like a pair of Nikes/NewBalances/Converses/JackPurcells/Tretorns

In the end, you can wear anything you like and buy from any brand that you like. It's your style.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  8. fides

fides Active Member

I'm somewhat in the same predicament, I am a 21 year old senior and will be continuing to Medical School in September/ January and was just looking for an all around boot. Something that can be a beater but can also be fine for going out in the evening to a bar. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  9. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

This is an OLD thread, but, to reduce the risk of some noob starting a new thread with the same topic, I'm going to respond anyway:

You're a college student; don't "up your wardrobe" to "Classic Menswear," lol...You're just going to buy a bunch of stuff that either makes you look odd now or makes you think "wtf!?" in a year or two.

Focus on buying the clothes that you usually like IN SIZES THAT FIT, and stop wearing t-shirts and hoodies to class. That's a good enough place to start. Focus on hooking up with college girls instead of getting "props" in WAYWRN.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. digga

digga Senior member

I'm not sure what kind of bars you're going out to, but if they are anything like the deplorable spots on my campus, you will be better off in a more rugged material like chromexcel rather than calfskin. I will suggest the following popular choices, but you should do more research on the forums and see what these will look like with some wear. I also don't know what your price range is, but these are all in the $300-$500 range. You can probably get some of them cheaper and you can certainly spend more on others. Lots of other choices as well, but this should get you started on your search.

Alden: Indy, plain toe boot, cap toe boot, chukka
    Wolverine: 1000 Mile
    Red Wing: Iron Ranger, Gentleman's Traveler
    Oak Street Bootmakers: Trench Boot

11. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

This one, it is your best college choice. Durable yet still looks pretty sharp for a boot.

12. bigbergers

bigbergers Active Member

I feel old all of a sudden...When I was in college, I used to wear a lot of sweaters and jeans or slacks. I owned 1 charcoal grey suit that time, it's worn out now but I kept it in my closet for posterity.

13. YPCrumble

YPCrumble New Member

I'm building a website called What Goes With This? (http://whatgoeswiththis.co) that is trying to help people with this dilemma - you can upload things you're thinking about buying via photos and get style recommendations based on this. Would love for you to try it with your college wardrobe and let me know what you think.