1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

College transfers and social life (transferring colleges late here)?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Fisher Shard, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

SEC

SEC

SEC

Man, I think I'd have failed out, become an alcoholic, or turned into a hermit if I had gone straight from my extremely sheltered high school life to a school like UGA. Was great for grad school after I had figured my shit out, but freshman year me would have been terrified.

2. adsmith4

adsmith4 Senior member

I came from a very small school, graduated with 75 people, and came straight to Bama. I was a pledge freshman fall and it was INCREDIBLE. I loved it so much, i'm still here for grad school. And headed to Baton Rouge for the big game in about an hour. Roll Tide

3. Fisher Shard

Fisher Shard Well-Known Member

I won't explain this again but it is an OBVIOUS fact that people in real life are often more friendly and less combative while people on the internet are more racist, condescending, rude, and more inclined to get under your skin, exceptions exist. My personality has been described as attractive and COUNTLESS people have said to me, "dude, you need to transfer to a REAL university". Overall, ya, my personality is straight. I can maintain good conversations with nearly everyone but Hansder I do not see what you have to offer to this conversation and what help you can be. I say this in the kindest tone, do so leave this thread as you have little to contribute and some of your remarks have come off as ignorant. My goal is to seek decent perspective and advice, you haven't offered either. I highly prefer Americans exclusively post on my threads since a lot of European users have little idea of life here in the US socially, I have visited and lived in Europe before so I know. Now Hunsder, if you want to continue to be insulting then that would be bad but no one is stopping you, I am just asking.

Now I address others on here who have actually helped me and made decent posts in many of my threads.

I can meet people easily, I am an extrovert, I make friends easily, but a high number of people I meet work all weekend or live 6 to 7 miles away from me.

It isn't that I can't meet people, but the issues are broken down like this:

1. I cannot meet people my age as easily
    2. When I do meet them, we hardly get to do much
    3. All people my age are working to get through college

I think some of you have misread my post and given bad advice as a result of it.

LOOK, my time at my current *coughs* "university" is finished. This is my last semester here.

My thread asked about my time at my actual university which happens not too long from now. From what I have read online, it seems that college transfers find it impossible to make friends, I want to ask why.

4. BubblyMasquerade

BubblyMasquerade Senior member

quit worrying and just go with it.

its not rocket science.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  5. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I'll repeat it. Join clubs, intramural sports, etc. I suspect you had that at your other school too you just never did it.

As the poster said above, wherever you go there you are. Don't expect your life to change because you moved. You'll still be the same person with the same hang ups.

Live in a coop. I did and honestly I probably slept with a differernt girl every couple months for 3 years straight, and from all over the world.

6. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

If you are as outgoing of a person as you say you are, you shouldn't be stressing out about partying (especially at a SEC party school). If you have a campus or live in a college town, you will be interacting with college kids all the time. There have to be bars, so you can meet people there. There are probably a lot of organizations, so you can meet people there. You might even get a part-time job with other college kids.

You've already made your decision to transfer and you either 1) make the most of it and meet people so you can be social or 2) you don't and you stay in your apartment all day.

What exactly is the problem?

7. Maximator

Maximator Senior member

Actually, that first sentence has pretty much the answer.

Food. I'm serious. No matter what we do in life or what we study, we have to eat. So, if all else fails meet people for lunch, dinner etc. Organize a Pizza night, or a BBQ(in the summer) what ever get's people together. Once everyone is happy, eating food, it's very easy to connect to them. Especially if you're the boss of the event

8. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

I went from a big school where I had a lot of friends and partied every weekend, to a big school where I had no friends, made a bunch early on, but lost touch with them when I got into a relationship. Such is life.

People don't really run in "defined" circles, it's certainly not hard to make a bunch of friends if you make an effort to.

9. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

It's a public forum and I have offered legitimate advice and contributed in a positive manner.:

However, I will refrain from posting in this thread.

If you had asked, I could have told you my personal experience transferring as the "new guy (older)" in a large, 40,000 student +, American university. I could have also given you an insight on what it's like moving to a new city after university and the challenges faced (and overcome) with meeting friends without the comfort of a large student population eager to meet one another.

Nationality aside, most people, including myself, have given you some great leads on meeting people and making friends. The idea is to surround yourself with as many people possible and get to know them. You'll be confronted with having known no one at the university for the first couple of years, however people in a university setting are often up for meeting new people/friends. The fact that you spent your first couple of years at a different university will make little difference in bringing a girl home or, at the very least, buying her a drink and starting a conversation (both of which I recommend).

If you'd like to argue further or if you have legitimate questions concerning your two threads and would like my advice, feel free to PM me. Good luck with your new university.

10. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I transferred after 2 years. The combination of living off campus in a studio apartment and being a transfer meant that I didn't have a huge circle of friends. But I was OK with that...still had a smallish group of people I hung out with. It was actually better off that way, because I spent a hell of a lot more time on schoolwork than I did my first two years. Definitely changed me for the better.

11. Fisher Shard

Fisher Shard Well-Known Member

12. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Housing cooperatives. ICC and College Houses are two coops. Basically coed houses where everyone shares in the work. It's a mecca for sexually liberated college women. :slayer: