• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College Theft

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have any of you ever had to deal with this? Today, I went to deposit a $100 bill my parents gave me and poof, the ******* thing is gone. Vanished. It was in the back of a drawer in my room, and I didn't tell anybody it was there. I've asked everyone who's been in my dorm since Tuesday (last time I saw it, I think) if they've seen it...obviously no one has.

I don't know who to suspect aside from my roommate. I don't think he'd steal that much money, but then again, I've known him for a few months. Character witnesses don't see him doing it.

Life sucks right now.

P.S. I don't want a ******* lecture about how I should have put it in a safer place.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Sorry man, that sucks. The lack of privacy/personal space in dorms is definitely one of the more annoying aspects of college life.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
sucks dood. makes you think what other belongings someone goes thru when you're not around. are there a lot of people going in/out of your room? obviously the roommate is suspect #1, but he's almost too obvious a suspect for him to be the culprit.

vc2000

Reaction score
Not a lecture but why didn't you just carry the bill with you?

When traveling in foreign countries I have had the provided room safe broken into. Sometimes it has been jacked open and other times somebody had the the code. I just find it safer sometimes to carry the money with me. At least I know what happened to the money. The only time I have had the in room safe broken into was New Orleans which they are required to provide you a safe and charge you for it.

Needless to say I tend to use a credit card rather then carry cash.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know, I certainly should have carried it with me.

This is really ******* with me. I'm supposed to studying for a math test tomorrow but now all I can think about is the fact that I'm out a hundred bucks.

angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif
\t
angry.gif

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since it's midterm time, perhaps you're just a little scatterbrained right now and you misplaced it? Or, it could have slid through a crack in your dresser, and it might be underneath/behind it?

It's too obvious for your roommate to steal it - unless he's a sociopath. I say try to set him up - leave a small sum of money, say $5 lying around in an obvious place, and see if it's gone by the next day. If he doesn't own up to it, get a new roommate.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look around in your clothing and your drawers first, you never know how absent minded you can be during exams. If he did it, just find another roommate quietly and don't even try to recoup it.

BTW, it's a single bill man. Carry it with you.

Consider it an expensive lesson.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm 100% positive it was stolen. I stashed it in the back of this particular drawer because I planned on depositing it in the bank this weekend...it wasn't part of my usual "pocket money". I would have no reason to move it.

*sigh*

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy a small (~60-80 lbs) safe to store your money/watches/cufflinks/cam era/ipod/stash/paraphanelia/scale/baggies/incriminating photos/etc.etc.etc. While not completely secure, it will discourage theft, because nobody wants to lug something that heavy out of a dorm room. A lot of kids get the little 10-15 pound ones with the handle and all, but those are easily carried off. It won't solve this problem, but it may prevent it from happening again. Something like this would work, and you would be able to use it for a while.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Learn some basic tradecraft. Losing $100 sucks, but in all honesty, you're blowing this out of proportion. If losing $100 meant you don't eat for the next month, this might be a bigger deal. If your roommate's a decent guy, it shouldn't be hard to ask him to keep a closer watch on your room. If not, you should be looking for a new roommate.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Learn some basic tradecraft. Losing $100 sucks, but in all honesty, you're blowing this out of proportion. If losing $100 meant you don't eat for the next month, this might be a bigger deal. If your roommate's a decent guy, it shouldn't be hard to ask him to keep a closer watch on your room. If not, you should be looking for a new roommate.

Initially, yeah, I did overreact. It's mom & dad's money, and they'll likely replace it, but things like this just irritate me.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand the irritation. Just saying it's worth keeping in perspective.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And I thought you were talking about tuition.

Perhaps, you should be like the proverbial old woman with the money under the mattress or some other place similarly intrusive. Most people don't take that hazard of moving a mattress to steal.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i remember $100 in college is like hitting 6 million in the lotto now...sucks man

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
I tend to keep my money in smaller bills, and if I get larger ones I deposit them or break them into 20's. Better to be out $20 than $100 if you misplace it, and it seems that smaller bills so long as they aren't in "wad" form aren't quite as enticing as a smooth Benjamin.

The other members advice of getting a small but heavy safe is advice I totally agree with. Any time you reside in somewhere semi-public it's always best to keep important materials locked up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads