• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College student watches - Swiss Army

allanb10

Reaction score
I am looking to get a nice classy automatic watch that is under 1000 and not seiko or something equally retail and mainstream. I really like the Swiss Army ambassador watch and was wondering what others' opinions were of it. Here is a link to the watch I like: http://www.swissarmy.com/Watches/Pro...product=24150&
sa.jpg

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
you could reconsider the seiko monster
B000HR2LGW.01-A3NEEKFH28LV5D._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V37797050_.jpg
the sinn 656
656-Schwarz-titel.jpg
the limes klassic vintage 1924
7624R-LA42-NL.jpg

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by allanb10
I am looking to get a nice classy automatic watch that is under 1000 and not seiko or something equally retail and mainstream. I really like the Swiss Army ambassador watch and was wondering what others' opinions were of it. Here is a link to the watch I like:

http://www.swissarmy.com/Watches/Pro...product=24150&

sa.jpg

Swiss Army isn't retail and mainstream?

coachvu

Reaction score
I think Swiss Army watches are nice, but they are easily the most common watches in my class behind Fossil.

Jolly Green

Reaction score
I see far more Swiss Army watches than I see analog seiko's any more.

Seiko makes a respectable "entry level" automatic watch. Very Good bang for the buck. I rotate 3 seiko automatics for my daily wear. Look for Hamilton also.

If Quartz watches are more your pace, then I think you can start looking at Tag Heuer and similar. In reality, equally mainstream and retail, but their price point keeps them off most college students wrists.

Cheers,
D

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would go for a Hamilton - many are way under your maximum price of $1k but I think it's a good start for a college student

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tissot, Hamilton, Swiss Arny and Seiko all make nice watches. Swiss Army has a version of that watch with a Unitas 6497 handwound movt. I like that version better as it does not have that huge day window and it's a more interesting movt. Swiss Army also makes a nice Rolex Daytona-ish auto chrono with a burgandy face and black sub dials that is very nice and under $1000. All things being equal, I'd go with the Swiss Army Chrono first, a Hammy chrono second, any of the Seiko dive watches third. With some wise shopping, you can buy two or three of the watches mentioned. One watch is never enough.
teacha.gif

allanb10

Reaction score
I was not really aware that swiss army was as mainstream as Seiko, mainly because most of their watches were more expensive and in my entirety of being at college I have only seen two other people with nice swiss army watches. Is it pretty much common fact that Swiss Army watches are not classy and boring mainstream?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it pretty much common fact that Swiss Army watches are not classy and boring mainstream?

In the watch enthusiast community, yes - they get no respect.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Tissot, Hamilton, Swiss Arny and Seiko all make nice watches. Swiss Army has a version of that watch with a Unitas 6497 handwound movt. I like that version better as it does not have that huge day window and it's a more interesting movt. Swiss Army also makes a nice Rolex Daytona-ish auto chrono with a burgandy face and black sub dials that is very nice and under $1000. All things being equal, I'd go with the Swiss Army Chrono first, a Hammy chrono second, any of the Seiko dive watches third. With some wise shopping, you can buy two or three of the watches mentioned. One watch is never enough.
teacha.gif

Unitas 6497? Which S/A watch is that?

P.s. there is the Italian Altanus company that makes some nice watches, especially their flieger-style Unitas 6497 ones. Can sometime find them for around 200!

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was not really aware that swiss army was as mainstream as Seiko, mainly because most of their watches were more expensive and in my entirety of being at college I have only seen two other people with nice swiss army watches. Is it pretty much common fact that Swiss Army watches are not classy and boring mainstream?

Don't worry about what the "watch community" thinks is classy and not mainstream, they are not paying for your watch. Swiss Army makes a respectable, good looking watch for a good price. Their quartz watches are everywhere but you will not find the watches below on everyone's wrist. One is automatic and the other is handwound. In person, all look much better than the pics and they both have great wrist presence and are not too stodgy for a college student. Or you can go with watches that share the same movements but are much cooler and accepted by the watch community, but you'll have to spend a few grand on them.
http://www.swissarmy.com/Watches/Pro...roduct=241073&
http://www.swissarmy.com/Watches/Pro...product=24162&
http://www.swissarmy.com/Watches/Pro...product=24785&

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Unitas 6497? Which S/A watch is that?

P.s. there is the Italian Altanus company that makes some nice watches, especially their flieger-style Unitas 6497 ones. Can sometime find them for around 200!

Yeah, the Altanus is a nice watch for the price. Trias makes a similarly low priced "flieger" Unitas 6497. The Swiss Army 6497 (look above) is better finished. Applied indices, nice hands, better dial, better case and can usually be found on the net in the 300-400 range.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Christopher Ward Malvern
ETA 2824, Saphhire Crystal, around $300 USD
2) Archimede Pilot
IWC Mark XV knockoff, ETA movement, $300ish
3) Hamilton Khaki
Various iterations of the 2824. Sapphire crystal $300-900
4) *used* Breitling Colt Automatic
$950, mid-tier brand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads