1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

College student watches - Swiss Army

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by allanb10, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Panerai118

Panerai118 Active Member

For the amount of money you are willing to spend, you can pick up a nice German watch. It is not something you'll see everyday, and styling is usually clean and classic.

2. skalogre

skalogre Distinguished Member

1) Christopher Ward Malvern
    ETA 2824, Saphhire Crystal, around $300 USD
    2) Archimede Pilot
    IWC Mark XV knockoff, ETA movement, $300ish
    3) Hamilton Khaki
    Various iterations of the 2824. Sapphire crystal $300-900
    4) *used* Breitling Colt Automatic
    $950, mid-tier brand.

+1 on both the C. Ward and the Archimede. The latter is one I would seriously consider if I wanted a German-made flieger (but I am more interested in Russian/Soviet pilot's watches). Have also heard a lot of favourable comments on the Hamilton. The Breitlings are too much $$$ for my taste and have too much of a "expensive watch" cachet that goes with the name. If you can afford it though, could be a good idea. Plus it may be easier to find an authorised service centre for a Breitling.

3. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Don't worry about what the "watch community" thinks is classy and not mainstream, they are not paying for your watch.

Sorry I have to disagree Ed. It's not a bad idea to listen to people who know way more about you and have much more experience in a particular subject. That's why novices ask questions on message boards like this one (or TZ/Purists/Paneristi you name it for watches). I wish I was given advice not to buy things I bought in the past thinking it looked cool and it was my money to spend.

4. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Sorry I have to disagree Ed. It's not a bad idea to listen to people who know way more about you and have much more experience in a particular subject. That's why novices ask questions on message boards like this one (or TZ/Purists/Paneristi you name it for watches). I wish I was given advice not to buy things I bought in the past thinking it looked cool and it was my money to spend.

No need to be sorry. Obviously if everyone thought like me, the world would be a much better place.[​IMG] [​IMG] I agree on getting direction from others but when comparing two watches with similar movements at similar prices, "classy" becomes very subjective. I also found that a lot of the boards, got very snobbish and clique-y and if your watch was not on the "approved list", it was either crap or a rip-off (see any Grand Seiko threads on TZ).

I still stand by my statement that Swiss Army makes a nice, servicable Unitas watch at a good price. I prefer their dial work to Hamilton and Tissot. You can't go wrong with any of them. I'll shut up now as I do not want to alienate any past and future customers [​IMG]

5. gdl203

I'll shut up now as I do not want to alienate any past and future customers [​IMG]

Just go get us some nice w38 Incotex okay?? [​IMG]

6. allanb10

allanb10 Active Member

well then in terms of style, is this swiss army ambassador watch ok for regular daily, not formal, but casual wear?

7. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

well then in terms of style, is this swiss army ambassador watch ok for regular daily, not formal, but casual wear?

Sure, but so is a $100 Seiko.

8. allanb10

allanb10 Active Member

9. Lamo

Lamo Senior Member

Well what about a Tag Heuer Aquaracer 2000 quartz
    http://www.worldwatches.com/product.jsp?uid=4230

i'm not digging that tag much, but that's just me. i'd just get the swiss. it's perfectly fine, imo.

edit: actually, if you're willing to spend a grand, you could look around some more. I'm not a watch enthusiast myself, but don't get duped into spending more than you really can.

10. Lamo

Lamo Senior Member

11. allanb10

allanb10 Active Member

So then what is a good brand / style watch to get particularily in the Tag and Omega brands. Does anybody else like this aquaracer watch I posted?

12. allanb10

allanb10 Active Member

I'm just looking for a good classy watch that is respectable among the watch community, is reasonably in my price range, and will earn me some compliments along the way.

13. gdl203

Well what about a Tag Heuer Aquaracer 2000 quartz
    http://www.worldwatches.com/product.jsp?uid=4230

No offense but this is hideous + it's quartz + it costs nearly $1k !
    There are so many better watches with a real mechanical movement that you could buy for that money!

14. skalogre

skalogre Distinguished Member

No offense but this is hideous + it's quartz + it costs nearly $1k ! There are so many better watches with a real mechanical movement that you could buy for that money!
    I have to agree that if you want a NICE watch that has some artisanal value mechanical/automatic is the way to go. While they wil never be as accurate, there is something beautiful about the fine little gears in a mechanical wristwatch. If you ever get a chance open up a mechanical watch and observe its functions with a loupe (sp?). I did that recently with a Shturmanskie chronograph I was changing the hands on, it was fascinating. Then again I am a geek and an engineer by training so take that with a grain of salt [​IMG] You could do that with an old Vostok on eBay; $25 will let you see what an old-fashioned tough handwound movement can do. Anyway I am getting sidetracked. Both gdl203 and edmorel have a point. get something you like but check around first. And gauge out how you will feel about it down the road. If you will get a serious interest in watches you may find your pick to be dissappointing down the road. If you like the way it looks and don't care about the internals, whole different story.

15. gdl203

I'm just looking for a good classy watch that is respectable among the watch community, is reasonably in my price range, and will earn me some compliments along the way.

Here is some advice:

1) Look at other threads about watches here and you may come across something you like. Here are some
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=22423
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=20312
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=16130
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=9424

2) go to www.Timezone.com, read about watches, and ask questions on the public forum

3) go to the Poor Man Watch Forum (http://www.pmwf.com) if you want to focus on an audience that knows everything about all watches under $1k. They even have a top 20 (http://www.pmwf.com/Watches/T20PMW List Table.htm)

How about a Nomos, or a Stowa Antea or Marine?
    How about a Hamilton (khaki offer, navy GMT?)?
    For ~$1k, you could probably get a Sinn 356 Flieger on bracelet...

In any case, please get yourself something (a) mechanical (manual or auto) and (b) produced by a watch company (not a clothing or shoe company)