• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College Student Shopping for New Wardrobe.. HELP

ganziyama

Reaction score
I don't know how you wear 36x30's because I'm 5'7 and I wear 30x30... I don't think you can build a wardrobe or anything close to "the whole works," with $300 to invest. I would seriously recommend that you go on a fitness plan and shed that weight before you spend money on your wardrobe. That's what I did and I'm glad I saved some money and have clothes that flatter my new body.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking to spend between 200-300 dollars. I am 5'11, 200 pounds. Kind of athletic build but not really, alot of the weigh is in my legs though. I wear size 36 and L shirts, depending on the shirt.

For example: Express T shirts- I wear Xl.. I personally hate the way they fit me though
Gap Jeans: I have a pair of 36/30's, I think ,and I LOVE the way they fit. So, I would like to know what fits similar to Gap jeans that are better jeans? Or should I stick with gap?

My wardrobe consists of AE, Express.. I don't really have many clothes!

Basically, I need to get essentials. The stuff to look fresh! I need shoes, t shirts, dress shirts, the whole works.
If you posted a picture of your "typical" style, it might be easier to comment on fit.

I think what clothes you get depends a bit on what look you're going for. The "Men's Clothing" section is aimed more at young professionals and a semi-formal/formal look, so you might want to also check out "Streetwear and Denim", which might be more appealing to the college crowd.

Based on your comments (XL shirts), I suspect that your clothes are too large for you. It might be worthwhile to start working out regularly, to turn the "kind of athletic" build to an "athletic" build, since that will make a huge difference on the way clothes fit (unless your weight now is mostly muscle mass), and to get fitted shirts.

I think a lot of people here will have similar suggestions. If you're limited to ~ $300, I would spend the bulk of that on a solid pair of shoes and a nice pair of denim, with the rest on t-shirts and a button-down.

You can probably grab a nice pair of Allen Edmonds oxfords for ~ $100 if you watch the forums here, which can go with most outfits and will last you a long time. For denim, most will say to go with a pair of APC New Standards; if you have larger lets, Rescues might fit you better. Again, if you watch the forums, you should be able to get a pair for ~ $100.

That leaves about $100 for a couple T-shirts and a button-down, which might be tricky. I would go with some T-shirts from American Apparel, which you can get for fairly cheap. With whatever is left over, grab a slim fitting button down (although here I'm slightly lost as to best quality for price at that pricepoint). In general, I would stay away from Express. Gap and AE aren't that great either, although for how cheap they are, the quality isn't horrible.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would start with getting items that fit well. That is the most important thing, imo. If it means made to measure shirts, do it. ModernTailor has been a godsend since it's so cheap. Sperrys are good, but mainly for casual wear. Browse around What Are You Wearing Right Now thread and see what you like. Getting a better wardrobe is a long process. For me, it's taken years and I'm still finding what I like and dislike and what works and what doesn't for me. Take your time.

jakeeshannon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sportin_life
If you posted a picture of your "typical" style, it might be easier to comment on fit.

I think what clothes you get depends a bit on what look you're going for. The "Men's Clothing" section is aimed more at young professionals and a semi-formal/formal look, so you might want to also check out "Streetwear and Denim", which might be more appealing to the college crowd.

Based on your comments (XL shirts), I suspect that your clothes are too large for you. It might be worthwhile to start working out regularly, to turn the "kind of athletic" build to an "athletic" build, since that will make a huge difference on the way clothes fit (unless your weight now is mostly muscle mass), and to get fitted shirts.

I think a lot of people here will have similar suggestions. If you're limited to ~ $300, I would spend the bulk of that on a solid pair of shoes and a nice pair of denim, with the rest on t-shirts and a button-down.

You can probably grab a nice pair of Allen Edmonds oxfords for ~ $100 if you watch the forums here, which can go with most outfits and will last you a long time. For denim, most will say to go with a pair of APC New Standards; if you have larger lets, Rescues might fit you better. Again, if you watch the forums, you should be able to get a pair for ~ $100.

That leaves about $100 for a couple T-shirts and a button-down, which might be tricky. I would go with some T-shirts from American Apparel, which you can get for fairly cheap. With whatever is left over, grab a slim fitting button down (although here I'm slightly lost as to best quality for price at that pricepoint). In general, I would stay away from Express. Gap and AE aren't that great either, although for how cheap they are, the quality isn't horrible.

Look at my profile picture. You cannot really see my whole body. But look anyways, and I will post a picture also.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wrong section.
Plain Tees.
Trash your American Eagle and Express.
Working out does not necessarily mean losing weight.
From approximate measurements, you don't look to have an athletic build. Kind of stubby.
Unless you thrift or buy used, it will be tough to get a complete wardrobe makeover with just $200-300, especially with little knowledge here.
Find a good tailor.
Befriend him.

And lastly but most importantly, lurk more.

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
I'm at 5'11" and I know that my ideal body weight is around 175, and I'm capable of bench/squat/deadlift 1.3x bw. if u buy clothes right now and lose weight, you're just going to have to buy them again. so if you're poor, it makes more sense to lose weight first.

point 2: personally, i don't think you can build a wardrobe with that kind of budget. but sport had some good advice.

focus on getting a nice pair of denim. wait for a nice pair of jeans to come buy for $100. If you're top heavy, you may want to look at more relaxed cuts like KMW 2010's, APC Rescues or Levi 514's. Also look for basic t-shirts that don't have designs on them.

also check the thread of non-baller shoes for a nice pair of sneaks. forum people usually recommend chucks, authentic vans, jack purcells, spring court, and others you'll find in that thread. find the one you like and try em out.

saiyar1

Reaction score
Don't want to be an asshole, but the only place that may give you good advice is Streetwear and Denim. But, honestly, this is a clothing enthusiasts site and your situation really doesn't jive with what people will be telling you. Even the "great deals" we think we get are pricey, and people like high end items here.

Your post conveys some sort of urgency or emergency. I don't think a lack of clothes when in college will be that bad. I would stick around and really absorb the Streetwear section. Decide what makes sense to you and what doesn't. Don't let people tell you how to dress. Develop your own style.

jakeeshannon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by saiyar1
Don't want to be an asshole, but the only place that may give you good advice is Streetwear and Denim. But, honestly, this is a clothing enthusiasts site and your situation really doesn't jive with what people will be telling you. Even the "great deals" we think we get are pricey, and people like high end items here.

Your post conveys some sort of urgency or emergency. I don't think a lack of clothes when in college will be that bad. I would stick around and really absorb the Streetwear section. Decide what makes sense to you and what doesn't. Don't let people tell you how to dress. Develop your own style.

Thanks. Not really any urgency, I just want to, I don't know, learn i guess. I love style, but in my area, most kids dress like they are ******* 12 with an AE polo and AE jeans. I hate that, that's why I wear the express, etc. But i was looking to move further into and just get some tips.

I should have rearranged the question better, I suppose. I really just want to know what is the most important thigns that I should get with that amount of money. I guess I kind of got an answer from sport. Sorry for the 'stupid' questoin everyone

ganziyama

Reaction score
Yeah basically everyone reiterated what I posted earlier:
1. Lose weight
2. Make more money or don't expect to build a wardrobe with that budget

jakeeshannon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ganziyama
Yeah basically everyone reiterated what I posted earlier:
1. Lose weight
2. Make more money or don't expect to build a wardrobe with that budget

Truth. Gonna start working out more and saving money.

However, I can't simply ignore clothes. I still want to look decent. Would you suggest any cheap brands until I lose the weight and get the paper!? I know H&M is good, but none of their clothes really fit me well because of my size. I never tried American Apparel.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$300 is really, really tough. This list is more for someone out of college, but it's a good starting point: http://putthison.com/post/712103418/...rhaps-the-most Lurk more, both on MC and SWD (those are the two main subforums here). Buy Esquire's Handbook of Style, it's a good starting point. Read Put This On and Sartorially Inclined (decent menswear blogs, especially for the neophyte). For Put This On, check out the video episodes and "Selections" section linked on the right hand side. That's probably their best content. As for your budget - I would say pony up another $100 and buy the following
  • $100-150 for 3Sixteen jeans or APC (New Standards are especially popular).
  • $75 for a pair of calfskin chukkas (go to ebay.co.uk and find some English brand. You can probably get Loake Thrapston or Kempton chukkas for about this much.
  • $75 for a pair of loafers or sneakers. I don't know much about sneakers, but you can get some decent Ralph Lauren loafers on eBay for around $75. For both the chukkas and loafers, read about shoes on here before you buy. Go for hardbottom soles, not rubber ones.
  • $100 for some button up shirts. Lands End Canvas is having a sale right now. You can get an OK oxford for about $16. Pick up five or six. Their Heritage cut is the most popular, particularly in the oxford cloth (not poplin).
  • If you have any money left over, then spend it on bringing the shirts to the tailor, even if you don't think you need to. He'll evaluate it and take care of the rest (just make sure you have a good tailor; don't skimp)
After that, you should just save up some money and buy some Mabitex pants or something, so that you're not always walking around in jeans. Mabitex have funny sizing, however, so you'll have to learn how to measure pants properly and know your size online via thigh, knee, and leg opening measurements. Anyway, the above should be a starting point. Addendum: Sport had some good advice, but don't get Allen Edmond oxfords. You're in college and you don't need oxfords right now. Those are the dressiest shoes you can buy, and it's just not that appropriate for where you're at. Also, if you have to get oxfords, find some cheap ones on eBay by Ferragamo or Ralph Lauren. Allen Edmonds are better constructed, but they're usually pretty ugly (exceptions being Park Avenues and Soho models, which are OK). You should be shooting for sneakers, loafers, boat shoes, chukkas, and maybe even bluchers, but definitely not oxfords. Also, a bit of a tip - stop posting under your real name. Your stuff is going to show up on Google and ten years from now, these posts are going to be embarrassing for you.

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred

Also, a bit of a tip - stop posting under your real name. Your stuff is going to show up on Google and ten years from now, these posts are going to be embarrassing for you.

Great advice

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads