• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College student budget fashion

ma1

Reaction score
Its easy as hell to outdress college kids, they look like idiots most of the time.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by max_r
man, i wish women would wear more classic and timeless pieces

I know man, my GF came in in a skirt and some layered tanks and a scarf and she was all "do you like this" and I was all **** NO, GO BUY A TRENCH AND SOME BOAT SHOES.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if that ***** shows any skin she aint going outside

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Whoa, I forgot this was styleforum; you don't need kiton, when I say you needed a suit I was thinking more likea conservative looking TaT that you can get for $500ish give or take, but you need a suit if you plan on doing more than just attending class for 4 years... that is to include finding gainful employment, and/or the steps towards that, like internships interviews, dinners where you will not be looked upon kindly for showing up in street clothes, etc. You need a suit, every one does. If I had a son, I'd buy him a decent suit and pair of shoes whenever it looked like he was done growing, because there are occasions to which to wear a suit, where other things will not be as good.

Extracurricular clubs will have formals, you will have presentations or groups, you will have interviews for summer jobs and internships, you will have interviews for actual jobs later down the line when it's time to graduate; nobody will grill you on having only one suit when you're <22 or 23 and not yet working, so you can go ahead and wear that jawn to the formals, the presentations, etc, but don't dress badly because other people choose to dress badly.

Other days in college though, are completely made for rocking out all day and night in a black leather jacket that you beat the hell out of, a white tee, and some great jeans and sneakers.

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
i am really sick of people talking about clothes as a method of "obtaining" women

It's not a method of "obtaining", but it sure as hell helps. It's a side effect of dressing well and looking put together. A very nice side effect. B)

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
i am really sick of people talking about clothes as a method of "obtaining" women
+100 Wearing nice clothes isn't going to help if you're still socially awkward. EDIT: +100 also on the suit. Seriously, it's one of the better investments clothing-wise you'll make.

inq89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

army of fffff

lol I meant in the context of not trying to one up them. You can still compliment their baggy jeans and rainbow flip flops to your STFs and desert boots, but the latter look won't make your peers think you're a pretentious ladyboy who takes advice from a style forum.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
I've never seen an undergrad wear a suit to meet with a professor. The only time I usually see undergrads wear suits is in their last year for honors thesis presentations, graduation, or if they are going to interview for jobs.

if you are an exceptional student and your professor is being honored for something you might be invited. also some schools host formal dinner with professors and students.

Monaco

Reaction score
Dress shirts should be quality but as long as it fits and feels good, can be any price.
Have a couple of blazers that are quality
Jeans, pants and shorts can be moderately priced
Accessories can be cheap
Have a couple of decent watches (If I had to choose, I'd take one great gold watch though).
Shoes gotta be bold and top notch (take care of these babies).
Basics like henley, crew, v neck, etc...can be cheap also.

sleepr

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips on dressing up in hotter climates? I go to school in Texas, so its pretty hot almost year round. I kind of moved from graphic tees to solid shirts with jeans plus keds/sperrys but I haven't been able to find and avenue to dress up a little more. The most I typically put on is a light jacket, which is nice, but doesn't really provide the depth that I want.

pdeng

Reaction score
I'm in Houston right now and it is ungodly hot. Just wear easy-breathing fabrics. You can get away with a lot of the same stuff, if you just switch it for light-weight material.

gululv

Reaction score
Just use style forum and ebay. I can't recomend buying clothes from a place like h&amp;m. In Stockholm where I live, the brands (Our Legacy, Acne etc.) sometimes have outlets, I remember buying three pairs of top quality jeans for about 70USD. But I don't know if there is anything like that in Vancouver. Not being rich can be irritating sometimes, I know..

fungz0r

Reaction score
I'm mainly having a problem with footwear right now, boots seem to be ideal right now since summer is over and it's going to be rainy and cold so i'd like something that i could wear in the rain and snow. But the only boots i've worn are steel toed boots for working in a mill and i'd never wear them around as they look clunky and ugly.

What pair of boots would be ideal for me? A pair of LL bean engineer boots?

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look at the streetwear shoes and boots thread. LL Bean engineer boots/Khatadins (idk if those are the same) are probably the lowest-tier &quot;SF-Approved&quot; option, with Red Wings, Wolverine 100 miles, and Aldens being the (progressively better) upgrades. (Red wings in particular can be found on sale at around ~200-250 USD). But honestly you're in college, who the **** cares about what SF thinks, so go with the LL Beans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads