1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

College student budget fashion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by fungz0r, Aug 28, 2010.

1. fungz0r

fungz0r Senior member

Tailoring i sorta get done through my grandma or asian relatives who work with sewing machines all day. Right now I think i'll be buying a new pair of jeans and looking for a pair of boots. I think boots would be good since there's lots of rain here in Vancouver. The LL Bean engineers boot looks pretty good for it's price, and durable.

2. snausages

snausages Member

we don't have J. Crew in vancouver. anyways, get some tshirts from H&M/American Apparel. They're about $7 for a solid vneck at H&M at pacific centre. You can get your APC's at dutil in Gastown and Roden Gray has some pretty good clothes in the same area too.

3. captmomo

captmomo Senior member

I, too, am a poor college student. Buy quality off B&S. It's worth it.

muji and uniqlo too.

4. uvmboi13

uvmboi13 Senior member

I'd look into more high quality generic looking stuff that looks good.

You don't want stuff that is way out there and crazy because you won't have a lot of clothes and when you wear that item again, people will realize it.

You want stuff that you can wear over and over.

5. iwantobelieve

iwantobelieve Active Member

MUJI
    Ebay vintage clothing
    Uniqlo
    Allen Edmonds shoe (B&S section)
    Keds

6. RyJ Maduro

RyJ Maduro Senior member

RL, Brooks, Dave Matthews Tees.

7. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

Don't spend money on nice basics. I love my solid shirts, but looking back I'd rather have some nice patterned shirts for the same price (here's looking at you, McQueen) or to have gone with knits/outerwear instead (though I don't normally wear anything over my shirts). Most of my stuff is nice fitting but overall pretty boring and carried hefty price tags even at discount [​IMG]

8. AndyMcL

AndyMcL Well-Known Member

I'm going to echo what a lot of people are saying; fit is a lot more important than the money you're going to spend. What you're going to want to do is find some brands that fit you well, and buy cheap basics from them. Once you figure out what your personal style is go out and buy more expensive statement pieces.

Start with some fitted t-shirts, and none of that graphic tee stuff. Get a wide variety of colors, and some slightly more interesting ones with stripes etc. You can do this for really cheap, check out Gap, H&M and Target. All have decent quality Tees for around $10. Wearing good fitting t-shirts without dumb slogans makes you look 10 times better.

Next, find some good jeans. One of the most important things with jeans is to make sure you find a shape that works for you; jeans come in tons of different styles so spend some time trying on lots of pairs. For example, I've got broad shoulders and decent sized legs, that means skinny jeans just aren't going to work for me. Figure out what you like best, Boot, Skinny, Slim, Tapered, Straight etc. After that find a brand you like and buy 2 pairs. Just starting out, I personally recommend Gap or Levi's. Both are pretty decently priced and often have deals. Each company also has many fits and they'll also last a while.

Shoes: being a college student, you're really not going to have a lot of need for some $500 dress shoes, I recommend not worrying about those for now. Keep your eyes out, and if you see a great deal on sale spring for it. Right now you should focus on buying sneakers. There's a lot of great info about sneakers on these boards. Read about them. Having a nice pair of Pumas or Addidas instead of gym shoes will elevate your look. Since it's fall also look into some boots, I personally recommend the LL Bean Katahdin. Cheap, and classic American.

Since it's fall you should also be thinking about some decent sweaters and coats. Sweaters you can find pretty cheap, any department store should have a decent selection. Get a couple of colors. As for outerwear that's too big a topic for me to discuss here. There's plenty of info here, you can find it. Also, while I don't recommend college students spend a lot of money on dress clothing I do like corduroy blazers. They're arguably the most casual blazer, and they work great with sweaters in the fall. Look through thrift stores, or find one cheap.

While we're talking about corduroys, get some corduroy pants too. They're comfy, warm and look fabulous. Don't worry about the wale size so much, just get a pair you like. These can be bought just about everywhere that has pants, Levis has some, J Crew, BR etc.

Button Ups: get a couple of button up shirts. Not dress shirts, but button ups. Plaid is great in the fall, and you can't do a lot better than J Crew's secret wash shirts. H&M and Gap should also have some decent quality cheaper ones.

Now, don't go out and buy this all at once. Just get the jeans and the t-shirts first. After that start to piece everything together as you come across stuff you like that's at a good price. Check out the WAYWT threads to get ideas.

9. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

You personally recommend gap or levis? Why the fuck are people with 24 posts giving advice of any kind.

10. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

You personally recommend gap or levis? Why the fuck are people with 24 posts giving advice of any kind.
    Please, some models don't look nearly as shitty as you are playing them off to be. Not all of your expensive $200+ retail jean fits thrown up on WAWYWT have look that great on your body type either. This means buyer with a decent eye can find jeans from these stores that are rather nice for your average college student. I sometimes wish I had bought the levis imprint jeans for $20 shipped when I had the chance. I have an old pair of gap morrisions' from '07 I've spent about the same into keeping them running than I paid for them $15, passable denim and decent cut. I have my place for expensive ass designer jeans, but they're not always necessary for a broke college student without a job.

11. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

Please, some models don't look nearly as shitty as you are playing them off to be. Not all of your expensive $200+ retail jean fits thrown up on WAWYWT have look that great on your body type either. This means buyer with a decent eye can find jeans from these stores that are rather nice for your average college student. I sometimes wish I had bought the levis imprint jeans for $20 shipped when I had the chance. I have an old pair of gap morrisions' from '07 I've spent about the same into keeping them running than I paid for them $15, passable denim and decent cut.

I have my place for expensive ass designer jeans, but they're not always necessary for a broke college student without a job.

Are you fucking kidding me. Read that guys post. He clearly has no clue what he's talking about, just another noob who wants to feel good about himself by giving out half-baked advice. JD on the other hand didn't say anything about all Levi's looking bad, and you just decided to take a potshot at him. [​IMG]

12. AndyMcL

AndyMcL Well-Known Member

For a jobless college kid looking for a decent pair of jeans now, what would you recommend over Gap or Levi's? They both have reliable construction, plenty of fits and washes. They're also not hard to find for around $30.

13. stinger70

stinger70 Senior member

Just get a pair of APC. They arent expensive, especially when you consider they will last a couple of years and look great. It is worth paying for a bit of quality or they will just look like ass after a few months.

14. pdeng

pdeng Well-Known Member

Anyone on this board is going to suggest getting a pair of raws and they're right. Even if you don't have fading purposes in mind, they look nice and can be dressed up or down. I swear you can find a pair of Crates for less than a hundred if you look around. They remind of a cheaper APC and they're going to age better than a pair of Levi 501s.

15. max_r

max_r Senior member

you can find APC's on b&s for under $100 that have only been tried on, just have to wait a bit for your size to show up.

16. joei

joei Senior member

PC jeans are nice but on his budget the initial investment is going to hurt.... get a pair of Levis Shrink to fit Raw 501s. I have a pair going 2 yrs strong. Gap Raws are good to but if I had to choose I would get the Levis. Both Levis and Gap have a ridiculous selection of jeans in different cuts from $30 - $80, check out both.

Everyone is saying in college get boots and sneakers. In my last yr of undergrad I started wearing casual shoes. Loafers, deck shoes..... even clarks. I got most of them off ebay under $50. The girls loved it because I stood out. So check them out. Plain sneakers can be good, maybe a pair of chucks NO jordans.

Invest in one good blazer, I regret not having this. Go to a vintage shop, get one for maybe 20 and hit the dry cleaners to get it tailored for cheap. As for shirts, wear your sizes preferably with slim fit.

Good luck.

17. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

For a jobless college kid looking for a decent pair of jeans now, what would you recommend over Gap or Levi's? They both have reliable construction, plenty of fits and washes. They're also not hard to find for around $30.
    I was a jobless college kid for about half of my 7 year college tenure and it didn't prevent me from wearing decent jeans. Earlier this week (possibly still) atsui was selling naked and famous and some pairs of kmw for under 100 bucks. Jeans aren't that expensive to begin with and easy to find decent pairs on sale. The problem is he probably has no idea what actually fits so none of this is helpful.

Really he should probably get some ns in whatever size is the smallest he is capable of buttoning. Note to op - this does not mean the smallest size that's comfortable, it means size down until you are physically unable to button them and go one size up from that. Might not be the right jeans for him but it's a pretty idiot-proof way of getting at least a respectable fit on the majority of normally-sized or skinnier guys. Anything else would require he know what he's doing somewhat, and unless one of you plans to go shopping with the op...

18. APK

APK Senior member

These threads always end up having the same key points mentioned. They also seem to bring lurkers out of the woodwork to dispense advice.

There's no one-size-fits-all template for this sort of existential prompt. What's going to suit the OP best depends on his day-to-day lifestyle, general appearance, etc. You aren't going to find your aesthetic overnight, so it's stupid to start dunking too much money into most items.

The typical college-aged student with the typical college-aged agenda probably doesn't need anything more than a go-to pair of denim, well-fitting blank tees, decent shoes or boots (again, depending on the individual) and maybe a middle-of-the-road sweater or cardigan. It wouldn't hurt to own a well-fitting suit and decent pair of dress shoes for the handful occasions on the social calendar that might actually call for such apparel.

Again, there's no universal checklist for this. It's better to get some basics without blowing the bank out the gate and then lurk/research/whatever over the coming months and determine how you might want to branch out from there.

19. Lane

Lane Senior member

I was a jobless college kid for about half of my 7 year college tenure and it didn't prevent me from wearing decent jeans. Earlier this week (possibly still) atsui was selling naked and famous and some pairs of kmw for under 100 bucks. Jeans aren't that expensive to begin with and easy to find decent pairs on sale. The problem is he probably has no idea what actually fits so none of this is helpful.

student by day...male prostitute by night.

20. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

I'm a jobless college kid. I wear PBJ XX-010s that I got on pretty deep sale, and NdG Classics that I got at deep sale. I have a pair of Paul Smith Ricards that I got on deep sale. All my shirts have been picked up on deep sale. See what I'm getting at here?