• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

college sophomore with a tough decision to make...advice?

ESu

Reaction score
I'm a new member here, and many of you seem to be quite friendly and knowledgeable, so I was wondering if I could get some opinions from older professionals on a decision that I'll have to make within the next few weeks.

I currently attend a prestigious private school in the South, but I'm not too happy with it; right now my grades are not very good and, being an Asian kid from NJ who went to a public school, I don't like the fratty southern atmosphere here, one that has also been impacting my academic performance. My majors are political science and economics, and I'm hoping to go into finance or law after graduation. Here's my dilemma: I'm torn between transferring to a less reputable state school -- where I'm fairly certain I will do much better both academically and socially -- and staying at my current school, where I won't be as happy during my remaining years as an undergrad. Basically, I just don't want to look back with regret because I didn't graduate from a better school when I very well could have. I realize that the name of the institution isn't everything, but it's still a tough situation because it might affect my chances of getting jobs in the future. Sometimes employers don't even ask for grades when you've already had a job before, and it'll definitely be more impressive if you graduated from a good school than if you went to a less-than-stellar one.

A girlfriend is also an influential factor (she lives in Manhattan, and if I transfer, it'll most likely be to a nearby school). Our relationship is pretty serious, but I realize that I shouldn't base this decision on a girl at this point in my life. However, it would be great if I could see her more often.

Any thoughts? I would really appreciate it.

AnotherVictim

Reaction score
Personally, I've always believed that in the cases where applicable, [cheese] do what your heart tells you[/cheese]. Alot of the advice I've always been given by college counselors was to do what makes you happy (within reason I suppose).

Now you may not know what your instincts say because they are masked by other feelings, but it shows that you are not happy in your current situation.

Best of luck!

vc2000

Reaction score
I'm sure others might have better advice but what worked for me was having the grades in undergrad so I could go to grad school. I went to a small school in the Midwest - it is a good school but not Ivy League. I got great grades and scored well on the tests and things worked out from there. I think if you don't have the grades you won't be able to go to grad school or a better one. The last school you go to is probably more important than the undergrad. You want to progressively go to better schools if you can...

There are some great schools around Manhattan.

Good luck!

fareau

Reaction score
My impression is that having an impressive academic pedigree in this day and age doesn't open doors for you by itself; what it does do is widen the opening that is already there. What opens the door is achievement (above and beyond the collegiate admission process). If your CV indicates high grades, good test scores, involvement in various groups and activities (curricular and extracurricular), many people will want to take a look at you, whether for grad school or employment. If matriculating to a new school is going to somehow inspire a more ambitious performance from you, then don't worry too much about the so-called name and prestige factor. School is about getting the best education, not the best bragging rights. If you think that you are going to get that at this other school in New York, then it might be a good decision. Plus your girl is there and that always helps!

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I've always believed that in the cases where applicable, [cheese] do what your heart tells you[/cheese].
+100. Glad someone had the guts to say that. [reminisce] I may have sort of broken up a while ago (we still talk and stuff) but the time when we were together are still the best times of my life so far. I had to make sacrifices, had my relationship, messed up said relationship, and learned and became a better person out of it. [/reminisce]

Do what feels right to you, IMO.

JB

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
[emo]
Originally Posted by JetBlast
+100. Glad someone had the guts to say that. [reminisce] I may have sort of broken up a while ago (we still talk and stuff) but the time when we were together are still the best times of my life so far. I had to make sacrifices, had my relationship, messed up said relationship, and learned and became a better person out of it. [/reminisce]

Do what feels right to you, IMO.

JB

[/emo]

To the OP, transfer to your state school. For business school your GPA (and especially your GMAT) will be important and for law school your LSAT (and to some small degree, your GPA) will be more important. Undergrad institutions are less important than graduate institutions in this day and age. When hiring MBA level positions I hardly pay attention to the undergrad school at all.

Augustus Medici

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
[emo] [/emo]

To the OP, transfer to your state school. For business school your GPA (and especially your GMAT) will be important and for law school your LSAT (and to some small degree, your GPA) will be more important. Undergrad institutions are less important than graduate institutions in this day and age. When hiring MBA level positions I hardly pay attention to the undergrad school at all.

Absolutely. I personally know two people that graduated from UT Austin with stellar grades and went onto Harvard Law. One of them did so badly in high school that he had to go to Austin Community College for a couple years before transferring to UT and graduating with a BA in government. The only reason he went down to Austin in the first place (he is originally from Dallas) was because of his girlfriend.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vc2000
I'm sure others might have better advice but what worked for me was having the grades in undergrad so I could go to grad school. I went to a small school in the Midwest - it is a good school but not Ivy League. I got great grades and scored well on the tests and things worked out from there. I think if you don't have the grades you won't be able to go to grad school or a better one. The last school you go to is probably more important than the undergrad. You want to progressively go to better schools if you can...

There are some great schools around Manhattan.

Good luck!

+1
Go to the best school where you can excel. Your performance (and especially your happiness) are more important than the school's reputation.

I've evaluated thousands of grad school applications and I'm *always* more impressed by a stellar performance at a lesser school than by marginal grades from a great school. A great performance at a mediocre school can also be boosted enormously by outstanding test scores (GREs in my field). Marginal grades at a great school, combined with great test scores spells "slacker" (perhaps unfairly, but that's the impression).

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an Asian kid from NJ, you'd fit in much better at Rutgers than at whatever school you are at now - and the academics are top notch for those who are really willing to learn.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
As an Asian kid from NJ, you'd fit in much better at Rutgers than at whatever school you are at now - and the academics are top notch for those who are really willing to learn.

And don't even get me started on the women's basketball team...

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[emo] [/emo]
Was that really called for? Not sure what you're trying to pull here. I will respectfully ask you to mind your own replies and not mine and if you have nothing good to see, just be quiet.

OP-
I'm not saying that if you have the chance to go to some school like Harvard or Yale to simply ditch it, I am saying to try and work around both things so you can manage your time. Time for school, time for the girl. It works.

JB

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Was that really called for? Not sure what you're trying to pull here. I will respectfully ask you to mind your own replies and not mine. It's getting old.

Was it really necessary to reminisce about your love interest in a thread about choosing a college? I didn't think so either.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First of all, you got into the "prestigious" school, so that mean you SHOULD be able to handle the academics. What is causing you to do "not very good?" Is your trying to fit in, in an environment where you will always be different, by the nature of your Asian looks, negatively impacting your grades? Do you long for your girlfriend in Manhattan so much that it also negatively impact your grades?

If you are absolutely sure that you want to go to a graduate school (law or business), then undergrad should be seen as a steping stone for you to get there. Obviously you want to get into as good a grad school as you can. You are letting circumstances distract you from your goal.

I take the advice to do what your heart tells you with a large grain of salt. Most of the time judgments and actions from the heart is not what's best for your future.

What is your priority as of NOW? Get into grad school? Be with your girl? Fit into the fratty environment?

Choose wisely because you have to live with the consequences.

Keep in mind that transferring from a "prestigious" school, where you are getting below average grades, to a state school, make you look like you cannot handle the rigors of a "tough" education. Name recognition is still very important, despite what people want to tell youl.

My advice: stick it out, rethink/rearrange you priority, concentrate on your schoolwork and do better.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lee, I agree with you as well. I think the best decision would be to choose what you want now, and in the future, and to manage your time to accompany both. If anyone disagrees with this I'd be interested to hear why, no conflict. Just curious to see other people's views.

JB

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been quite a while since I was in college and dealing with the typical issues of fitting in, getting nice with a girlfriend...etc. My personal feeling about the purpose of college is that, unless one has no further desire for education after the bachelor degree, college is merely a stepping stone.

Sure it would be fun to party all day and play all night, but you must remember what you are there for. Most kids get caught up with the sudden availability of unlimited freedom, no more "taking attendance", that they use college time, ultimately, unwisely.

I'm inclined to think, therefore, that such behavior, in general, leads to the surplus of so called "college grads" or "those with a college degree" who could not find a job in the REAL world.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads