• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College major question

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At the moment, my declared major is history. As I've stated before, I'm looking to transfer in Fall 2008 to a school that has a better political science/public affairs program than my current university because that is really my primary interest.

Now, I realize that a B.A. in poli. sci. isn't that much different than a B.A. in any of the other liberal arts. But would it be worth it ($$$) to spend an additional year at whichever school I'll be attending in '08 to rack up enough credits to declare a poli. sci. major? Or should I just stick with the history and make poli. sci. my minor?

Any folks involved in the public policy/administration care to comment? FWIW, I'd be looking to get an M.P.P. after undergrad.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Wait what...you are an undergrad??

I thought you were in like your 30s or 40s.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Wait what...you are an undergrad?? I thought you were in like your 30s or 40s.
I wish.
frown.gif
Can't wait 'till I'm 50.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I don't know anything about political science fields and post undergrad, but it's nice to see another history major. I mean, we're probably world's apart as far as history goes, but still. Personally, i wouldn't worry too much about transferring just for a year of undergrad if you're going to gradschool afterwards. Also, don't most schools have a minimum credits taken at the school rule about majors? Wouldn't you probably have to stay an extra year or at least an extra summer and/or semester?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I don't know anything about political science fields and post undergrad, but it's nice to see another history major. I mean, we're probably world's apart as far as history goes, but still. Personally, i wouldn't worry too much about transferring just for a year of undergrad if you're going to gradschool afterwards. Also, don't most schools have a minimum credits taken at the school rule about majors? Wouldn't you probably have to stay an extra year or at least an extra summer and/or semester?

I'd be transferring in as a junior, as per most U.S. college students who decide to attend a different school. Not sure about the minimum credits...

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another option you might explore is that some schools offer a five year BA/MA.

The advice to work on stats is very sound. Strong quantitative skills will really help you.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is definitely not worth an extra year at school so that you can graduate as a poli sci. major instead of a history major.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
It is definitely not worth an extra year at school so that you can graduate as a poli sci. major instead of a history major.

yeah, liberal arts is liberal arts, and as long as you aren't doing French Poetry (or something equally useless to your goals), there's not going to be much difference whatsoever between History or PoliSci on your resume/grad school app/ etc. One studies historical precedents, the other extrapolates models from them, done.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StreetLaw
However, adding in economics or statistics as a major or minor would make you a stronger candidate to a lot of public policy schools.

+1 And this goes for just about anything you will decide to do. If you move into graduate work in poli sci or PA, both stats and economics in your undergrad will benefit you. Not only do they indicate you can handle the subject, as you are bound to have at least one stats course, it will also put you ahead of most of the fools, in your mandatory graduate stats, class that use the words "percent" and "percentile" synonomously.

One warning about taking economics though: it might make you rethink modern day US liberalism
lol8[1].gif

jkennett

Reaction score
Have you thought about creating a contract degree in Public Policy as either a major or a minor? You could get your degree in History with a minor in Public Policy or double major. Add in a good summer internship and perhaps get an academic article published to get in the door of the graduate schools.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkennett
Have you thought about creating a contract degree in Public Policy as either a major or a minor? You could get your degree in History with a minor in Public Policy or double major. Add in a good summer internship and perhaps get an academic article published to get in the door of the graduate schools.

I've been out of the school game a while. What's a "contract degree"?

jkennett

Reaction score
A contract degree is a degree in which a student can create their own academic program. Normally the student works with the head of the particular department that would correspond closest to their intended degree. They create a proposed academic schedule, as well as a closing thesis project, which then has to go through an approval process with the school.
I know a few people that did this back in college. One kid came to the U.S. from Switzerland to row on the crew team. He had studied law at the Univ. of Zurich for one year, ended up getting a part-time job at Galerie Koller AG during this period, which in turn influenced him to completely switch his career path. He came to the U.S. and created a degree in "Finance of Art", which was a combination of classes in art history, finance, and economics. The eventual goal was to work in a gallery or auction house specializing in art works as investments.
I had previously heard of some guy a decade ago had studied "Vampire hunting" at Boston University. The story was that it basically was a degree in folk lore with the addition of anatomy classes and 4 years of Romanian language and culture. I tried to "google" it and came up with nothing, so I believe that could be one of those urban myths.

jkennett

Reaction score
Connemara- I don't really know anything about you, but from your name and your use of gaeilge I had assumed you were an Irish citizen. If this is the case, a political science degree in U.S. policies may be pretty useless. I had some friends from the E.U. studying international policy at the Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown, which made sense. Anyways, I don't know what your citizenship is and I know not everyone from Eire goes to UCD or Trinity (some would rather die), so best of luck whatever the case may be.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads