• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College Graduate - New Suit for Job in Manhattan

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you guys extend the line too far out for that, most people above you are going to assume a 1st year analyst is in a cheap suit regardless of what you're wearing, furthermore, if the higher ups are in Brioni and Kiton, then even wearing Polo and BB's GF is going to be no big deal if they some how find out.

Most people dont know suit cuts well enough to figure out what you're wearing, and unless you go around flashing the label or telling people about it, then no one knows.

oldseed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
You should (must, actually) have the following:

truly an awesome post. importantly it emphasizes something that all new hires must know: you need to fit in first before you stick out, from clothing on out.

seed

bankboss

Reaction score
Some great information here. I remember interviewing aspiring employees at my former employer, and some guys fresh out of college would have on some of the most hideous suits you have ever seen. I would not fault all of them, as to some, they never had to wear a suit everyday before.

Sixth_Sense

Reaction score
Question:

I've heard from some people that your sock color should match your suit, as it is supposed to act as an extension of your suit, so navy socks with a navy suit; however, I see many people wear black socks that match their dress shoes instead, and I usually do this.

Do people actually care? Is the former an outdated practice?

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sixth_Sense
Question:

I've heard from some people that your sock collar should match your suit, as it is supposed to act as an extension of your suit, so navy socks with a navy suit; however, I see many people wear black socks that match their dress shoes instead, and I usually do this.

Do people actually care? Is the former an outdated practice?

Unless you're wearing "fun" socks (which you shouldn't be wearing to an interview anyway), it's better to match the socks to the suit, as you said, to "act as an extension of your suit." So yes, navy socks with a navy suit.

Matching your socks to your shoes draws more attention directly to the shoe, whereas matching your socks to your suit will result in a more natural "flow" in your overall look.

MHH89

Reaction score
What is the break down on financial firms that require suits now? I figure not that many after Bear and Lehman fell. I bet the conservative business formal look will come back into fashion after this recession.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
that can vary by the department. In my firm its yes for the bankers (most of the time, and always for meetings or client events) and no for the traders.

For everybody else (ops, tech, services, etc.) the dress code seems to be curtain sized shirts with genie pants.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work for a large, prestigious consulting firm. I wear brown shoes almost everyday, cutaway collars, braces, exploding silk pocket squares, and many of the other things you have been told not to wear. I received an extremely favorable review this year.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
I work for a large, prestigious consulting firm. I wear brown shoes almost everyday, cutaway collars, braces, exploding silk pocket squares, and many of the other things you have been told not to wear. I received an extremely favorable review this year.

DC area, so - BAH?

Sixth_Sense

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Question regarding dress shirts.

My friend just purchased Brooks Brothers slim fit shirts; however, for a shirt that is designated slim, they fit rather loosely. He is larger than me, so I can only imagine the result if I purchase the same brand, which was my original intent.

What other reasonably priced slim-fit brands do you all recommend?

Thanks!

Edit: One more thing. Given that you should rarely dry clean your suits, what do you guys use to ensure that your suit does not begin to boast a stench. It's July in Manhattan, and it gets incredibly hot, meaning sweat is inevitable.

huskyzealot

Reaction score
Not sure if the OP is wearing a suit to work everyday, but if he is not.....

I have worked at two investment banks and at a large consulting firm....you will stick out if you wear black cap-toes everyday (like some here have suggested)....virtually all analysts and associates in NYC and Greenwich wear loafers, mostly black, sometimes brown; bit loafers are common also. I am not saying I agree with this, but it is what you will experience. I actually had an MD tell me to "lighten up and throw on some loafers" because I was wearing cap-toes all the time.

Most i-banks are business casual now (i think barcap and ms are the only big ones which are not) and almost all PE and HF shops are business casual as well.

I personally think that cap-toes are the only way to go if you are wearing a suit, but many of my peers wear loafers with their suit...it looks stupid but it is common. I guess the point here is that you are going to regret only having black cap-toe shoes, so get a pair of park ave's for interviews, meetings, suit wearing occasions, etc. and a pair or two of loafers (if you get bits, make sure you have at least one non-bit option).

Also, those who have said that brown shoes and navy pants are not OK are crazy, you will see a lot of both.

French cuff shirts are not as common as they are with our colleagues in Europe, but it wont be a big deal if you have some in your rotation...just make sure your cuff links aren't outrageous.

I do however agree with those who say to stay away from the contrast collar shirts and suspenders; but honestly who didn't know that?

Sixth_Sense

Reaction score
We're business-formal most of the time so wearing black cap-toes is the norm.

But yeah I wear loafers when I'm business casual.

Thanks for the advice, man.

bankboss

Reaction score
I wish I worked in a business casual enviroment sometimes.

Sixth_Sense

Reaction score
So ended up buying suits from Woodbury Commons this weekend, and wow I must say that place is amazing.

Anyway, I need to get the pants tailored in Manhattan, and I know some of you guys have stated that some good tailors are Wilfred's and Dynasty. I'm looking into them right now.

Are there any other places that you recommend and are reasonably priced? Additionally, what would you recommend regarding the tailoring of the suit (i.e. cuffs or no cuffs, etc)?

Thanks guys. This has been so helpful!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads