• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College Graduate: Need Help with Dress Shirts

kennyyboy

Reaction score
I'm currently still a college student who will be graduating this spring as an Accounting major. I'm about to start interning for a company while also participating in a volunteer program related to this field.

I need some help with recommendations on where to purchase some quality well fitted dress shirts. I don't mind spending the extra money for quality shirts that I will be happy to wear. I see this as an investment towards my future when I graduate as well.

I hope to eventually redo my whole business wardrobe with suits and shoes when I have the extra money, but for now, I'm just looking mainly for dress shirts (maybe dress pants + ties too).

Some brief info:
- 5' 7"
- 148lbs
- Slim athletic build
- Reside in Southern California
- Looking for some nice fitting, conservative colored, dress shirts
- Need some dress shirts by 2nd week of January, MTM dress shirts would not be an option since I don't know my measurement and I need them soon
- Non Iron vs 100% Cotton, what is the difference? what is recommended?

I've purchased all my past dress shirts while in high school & early college from JC Penney, Mervyns, and Express. I've done some research here on SF and so far my plan is to go to MACYS or Brooks Brothers. What do you guys think? Some insight and advice would be greatly appreciated on where to go and what to look out for.

Macys, Banana Republic, Brooks Brothers? what do you guys think?

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
Do a search on college grad and dress shirts. But since I'm from socal too i will help you out.

If you know your shirt sizes and are willing to buy online, do yourself a favor and buy some some Charles Tyrwhitt or lewin slim fit shirts. If you don't know your size, its best to go to Brooks brothers and have them size you.

Think about buying them soon as you can take advantage of the post-christmas sales.

Bootm line. Brooks Brothers or Charles Tyrwhitt.

kennyyboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx
Do a search on college grad and dress shirts. But since I'm from socal too i will help you out. If you know your shirt sizes and are willing to buy online, do yourself a favor and buy some some Charles Tyrwhitt or lewin slim fit shirts. If you don't know your size, its best to go to Brooks brothers and have them size you. Think about buying them soon as you can take advantage of the post-christmas sales. Bootm line. Brooks Brothers or Charles Tyrwhitt.
Thanks for your advice. This is really my fault for not doing any research sooner as I do plan to go out to stores tomorrow (12/26/10 Sunday) to make my purchase. I hope Brooks Brothers will have some discounts. What kind of sizing measurements would be required or should I try to note down after visiting Brooks Brothers? Is it just the neck size & arm length? I believe I am a 15 neck, 32/33 arms. Although some Kenneth Cole Reaction dress shirts I've purchased from the mall in the past are a bit baggy.

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
Yeup, neck and arm length are usually all that you need. Are the shirts you bought previously labeled Slim Fit? If not, they are cut generously in the midsection as an allowance for a bulging gut.

If you are in the West LA area, the Century City Westfield has a Thomas Pink store that you could check out. I've found that they Jermyn St. Stores that i mentioned Tyrwhitt, and Levin, measure smaller in the neck, and the Pink store may be a more accurate fit representation.

But if you need something quick and something now, go to Brooks Brothers. Try the slim fit, and extra slim fit, get the ones that fit you better, and themm have them all taken to the tailor to get them even more customized to your body. Then do yourself and not gain any weight.

shanker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kennyyboy
- Non Iron vs 100% Cotton, what is the difference? what is recommended?

Go slim fit.

It's said that the real advantage of 100% cotton fabrics is their smoothness - some claim they feels better to the skin, have a finer drape, are more breathable, etc. Sure, natural fibers like cotton are usually soft and comfortable, but the quality of any fiber comes down to things like how it's grown, milled, finished and woven. In the end, a custom tailored shirt made with a cotton blend is likely to feel much nicer than a 100% cotton shirt that comes in a bag from a big-box retailer.

In many cases, blending cotton with other fibers produces garments that are stronger, more breathable and more eye-catching. Synthetic fibers like polyester and rayon can add a more lustrous shine and texture to a shirt that would be impossible to achieve with just pure cotton. In most cases though, a blended cotton fabric will contain about 80% cotton and 20% other material, which is usually considered just the right balance for a noticeable cottony feel and texture.

Another major disadvantage for many natural fibers is their tendency to wrinkle, and cotton is no exception. Pure cotton garments need a lot of attention to keep them looking their best - or at least they need more attention than blended cottons, many of which feature wrinkle-fighting synthetics fibers or are treated with a non-iron finish to make them even more maintenance-free. While fabric finishing techniques are continually improving, pure cottons still can't match blends in terms of ease-of-wear.

In many the ways the blended vs. the pure cotton debate is far more complex than most people realize and both sides can certainly claim the superiority of their argument. Both types of fabric offer their own particular strengths, making them hard to compare. But, by understanding the pros and cons of each, you'll be able to find clothing that better suits your lifestyle and needs.

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
Lol, cliff notes version:

If you have time to iron your clothes, cotton is better. Feels nice, looks good if you take the time to starch your collar N cuffs.

If you are an investment banker who's being staffed on three deals, you'll go wijth non iron since that's what will get you out of the house and back into the office the quickest.

kennyyboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx
Yeup, neck and arm length are usually all that you need. Are the shirts you bought previously labeled Slim Fit? If not, they are cut generously in the midsection as an allowance for a bulging gut. If you are in the West LA area, the Century City Westfield has a Thomas Pink store that you could check out. I've found that they Jermyn St. Stores that i mentioned Tyrwhitt, and Levin, measure smaller in the neck, and the Pink store may be a more accurate fit representation. But if you need something quick and something now, go to Brooks Brothers. Try the slim fit, and extra slim fit, get the ones that fit you better, and themm have them all taken to the tailor to get them even more customized to your body. Then do yourself and not gain any weight.
Thank you both uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx & shanker for your great help. unicorn, I will definitely check out your recommendations tomorrow. I'm located in the 626 area, and the Century City mall isn't too far from me. I must admit though, after reading some reviews on YELP about the customer service level of employees at BB, I'm quite intimidated by what other people have said about their snobiness since I'm just a starving student wandering in for some help. (noob) Now, I'm just wondering if I should take the gamble of placing orders online based on your recommendations of stores with my 15/32-33 sizing. Too afraid to get laughed at by BB employees when they sense my level of poorness. (I plan to pick up 3-4 shirts for around $200 dollar deal) How have your personal experiences been at BB since you're in the area as well?

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
Don't let them know you are a student. If being confident isn't something you're good at, just go in like you were going to work and htell them that you need more shirts, that they fit poorly, and that you'd like to get sized.

If they are busy, just ask someone to get you a 15, 32 and 33 in both slim and extra slim, and if they wont help you, find someone else that will. Don't leave until you get what you want.

When i went, it wS raining and I was the only one in the store, so i had the associates full attention. So just bother em. It's their job to serve u.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads