• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College Frats (opinions? experiences?)

gqreader239

Reaction score
Im pretty new to this great forum so please excuse me if this has been covered before. I am currently in college and am deciding if a frat is a good idea. I have no experience with them and have no friends who have experienced how frat life is. This forum is full of experienced gentlemen so I hope someone would be kind enough to provide some opinions or even better experiences with frats.

vanity

Reaction score
Best decision of my life. It helped shape most of my character, which outside of the forum, is actually a pretty well-respected one. You're going to meet a LOT more friends and women from the fraternity itself. Also endless parties and things you wouldn't normally do...such as formal events, homecoming floats, barndances, travelling to other frat houses in far away states just to party and unleash havoc on that town.

Aside from all that, lets be honest and get down to women. College is all about random hookups, skipping class to bang babes, and scoring ass with some of the hottest women you've ever imagined. I know I was upping my bar every year I was in the frat. Women I thought were untouchable were extremely easy to have now. And you get older and more mature together as you all head towards senior year. By then you're one big community of people across variouses houses that still remembers those crazy freshman/sophomore years. You'll make a lot of long-lasting relationships.

I'm still friends with guys from my house, other houses (as well as a LOT of non-fraternity friends), and a lot of the girls I used to hook up with. But now we all just kinda look back and laugh. We were a buncha crazy college kids living it up. It was so awesome.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am in a fraternity too. Joined second semester freshman year and I can't say anything bad about trying to get involved. It's nice to be part of a "cool" one but you want to make sure you fit in with the brothers (members for you non-greeks). So during rush (early in the semester when students check out fraternities/sororities and the groups do likewise), hang out with as many different fraternities and then find out which one's you seem to gel with. You'll learn alot about yourself and dealing with other people as well as running an organization (if you take a leadership role) and dealing with conflicts and egos. Also it is a great networking tool. Lastly, you'll have a ton of a fun. Yes, there are alot of stereotypical "frat-guys", but there are also stereotypical jocks and teacherspets. So in the process, you'll meet alot of great people and jackasses. Same goes anywhere in life. Give it a shot, if you don't like the people or the scene no harm done.

By the way, Gqreader, fraternity brothers don't like the term, "frat". It is a bit derogatory. Always use "fraternity".

PM me if you have any particular questions.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It was fun. From what I hear, it is less fun nowadays, but I would still go ahead and join.

gqreader239

Reaction score
Wow thankyou for the stories and experiences. This morning when I woke up I got a call at 8 to go outside and wait at a street corner. I waited for 10minutes in pretty cold windy austin air and got the call that I had recieved a bid. After reading some comments here and speaking with some friends, I feel that I will make the commitment to pledge.

Thank you jodum5 for that tip, I was mistaken that "frat" was just a short way to saying fraternity. Didn't know it was sort of an insult.

vanity

Reaction score
You'll get brain-fucked pretty much non-stop, but that's kinda part of the fun. Pledging will be one of the hardest and busiest times you've yet experienced. But afterwards, you're going to miss the hell out of it.

*You'll probably have the best grades of your college career too, depending on house rules. Our pledges had to present us with their grades frequently and we came down really hard on people getting under a 'C'. I had a 3.8 (out of 4) my pledging year.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would rather have my organs surgically removed from my body and be strangled with them, but I guess you make your own decisions in life.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I had some of my best college experiences in my fraternity.

Unfortunately, my house fell apart before I graduated and I deactivated because I didn't want to be labeled as a member of that group. We were taken over by drug-users and one of the members decided to let a towny drug-dealer move into the house. Long story short, college and national pulled the house charter, city condemned the house... there is now a vacant lot where the house once stood.

However, during the time I was a pledge and as an active, it was a lot of fun! We lived our own version of the movie "Animal House" and Vanity is correct about the women - being in a house makes it much easier to get laid.

Enjoy it, have fun, don't do anything too stupid and don't take it all too seriously
smile.gif

P.S. As for the frat vs. fraternity thing - as others have said don't use that term. If you do, you'll get the lecture about how you don't call your country a "****". Then again, if you want to impress the actives, be the first to give that lecture to a fellow pledge when they screw-up and use the term.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine was fun: multiracial, co-ed, multi-sexual. This was at a smaller liberal arts college on the East Coast.

After my initiaition [I am sworn to secrecy of course, but I can say it was more camp than terror] the prez said one reason I got admitted was that she liked my sweaters
smile.gif

Many of the chapters were co-ed. The all male chapters hated them. Years after I graduated, the bureaucratic civil war ended with the co-ed chapters forming an aligned but slightly separate org.

I recommend frats, but not all of them.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Mine was fun: multiracial, co-ed, multi-sexual. This was at a smaller liberal arts college on the East Coast.

After my initiaition [I am sworn to secrecy of course, but I can say it was more camp than terror] the prez said one reason I got admitted was that she liked my sweaters
smile.gif

Many of the chapters were co-ed. The all male chapters hated them. Years after I graduated, the bureaucratic civil war ended with the co-ed chapters forming an aligned but slightly separate org.

I recommend frats, but not all of them.

I'll go out on a small limb here and say "Xaipe, Brother." Which co-ed chapter were you a member of? I was at Bowdoin. Unfortunately, all of the fraternities at Bowdoin have since been disbanded by the College.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I'm sure that there is some fraternity out there that isn't full of spiky-haired, brainless idiots who wear their hats at 45-degree angles, ask the most marsupialed questions in class, call everyone "bro" in some kind of effect to make another superficial friendship, talk as pointlessly aggressive as possible and attempt to break your hand when they shake it, and seem to bestow upon themself a feeling of seniority and growth despite progressively worsening attitudes and intelligence.

Let's be honest, college is about education. Being in your late teens and twenties is about banging hot girls and skipping class because you're hungover.

Like I said, I'm sure there are some out there, but not at my school. But they are extremely fun (and easy) to make fun of. There are lots of them in the gym and they elicit some of the most entertaining behaviour when exercising (their isolated muscle workouts).

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
I'll go out on a small limb here and say "Xaipe, Brother." Which co-ed chapter were you a member of? I was at Bowdoin. Unfortunately, all of the fraternities at Bowdoin have since been disbanded by the College.

Yep, that's the one.

Middletown chapter.

Since I graduated the U has forced all all-male houses to go co-ed or to disband.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics