• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

College Football Top Ten Coaching Jobs

jkipness

Reaction score
What are the top ten coaching positions in college football. Being an Orangeblood, I put Texas in Top 5.

Lucky7

Reaction score
I would have to say..in no particular order Penn State, Ohio State, Miami, Florida State, and USC...just my .02.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just off the top of my head. . .
USC, Ohio State, ND, PSU, FSU, Mich., UT, FL, AL, OK.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
In no particular order

Alabama
Michigan
Ohio State
USC
Texas
Notre Dame
Miami
Georgia
Nebraska
Oklahoma

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GA, Miami and NE over PSU, FL and FSU, huh?
Tough call.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
My criteria was that I was trying to think of programs that have had multiple coaches and remained generally successful or sought after by the top talent...

I guess I just can't conceive of anyone other than Paterno at Penn State or Bowden at FSU, so I'm not sure if it's the program or the coach at those schools.

I have similar thoughts about Florida. I think Spurrier underachieved and while I think Urban Meyer is building a good program, I just don't know if it would continue if he were tempted to the pros or something. Probably would, but with a limit of 10, I had to leave someone off the list.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very good (valid) points. I can't say I thought that much about my list. I also don't know that much about the history of SEC football. . .
blush.gif

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
In no particular order Michigan
RichRod has done a pretty good job at screwing up that program for at least 3-4 years

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think Jim Tressel is the highest paid coach in the NCAA (he's making over $3mil a year IIRC). Woody Hayes also made a lot of money when he was the Buckeyes coach.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
RichRod has done a pretty good job at screwing up that program for at least 3-4 years

Well at least they won the little brown jug today.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My criteria was that I was trying to think of programs that have had multiple coaches and remained generally successful or sought after by the top talent...

I guess I just can't conceive of anyone other than Paterno at Penn State or Bowden at FSU, so I'm not sure if it's the program or the coach at those schools.

I have similar thoughts about Florida. I think Spurrier underachieved and while I think Urban Meyer is building a good program, I just don't know if it would continue if he were tempted to the pros or something. Probably would, but with a limit of 10, I had to leave someone off the list.

If I were a coach, I'd set my standards a little lower.

IMO, you want to go to a community where you can build a program and basically be competitive without it being a pressure cooker. After some initial success, you've got a ton of slack.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
If I were a coach, I'd set my standards a little lower.

IMO, you want to go to a community where you can build a program and basically be competitive without it being a pressure cooker. After some initial success, you've got a ton of slack.

Are their actually any communities like that? I think everyone has the "what have you done for me recently" attitude these days.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are their actually any communities like that? I think everyone has the "what have you done for me recently" attitude these days.

Purdue has some of that with Tiller time.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seems like there is plenty of slack in South Carolina. How long was Bowden at Clemson? It seems like they were ready to fire him every year, but he would luck up and beat a big team, or get into a minor bowl, and then they felt they couldn't fire him. He did just good enough to save his job year after year. And their cross-state rival South Carolina, they've had decades of suckiness but are only now (maybe) turning it around.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see how UF is not on the list. Tons of money, large school, a couple of titles, a couple of recent Heisman winners, one of the best if not the best recruiting backyards in the country, year in a year out a top 3 conference that if you win you've got a very good shot at playing for a national title. Urban did choose UF over Notre Dame, IIRC. One of the top ADs in the country, too. I realize it doesn't have the lengthy history of Alabama, Nebraska, etc. but it's getting there. Even if Urban leaves in 5 years for the NFL he'll almost certainly leave behind a stockpile of talent, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads