1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

College Fashion Discussion

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by fireshower, Jul 20, 2009.

1. randomtw

randomtw Senior member

why wouldn't you want to stand out? if you didn't, wouldnt you just wear what everybody else is wearing?

i personally always love to stand out in a crowd...you can pretty much recognize me easily anywhere i go

2. Casey

Casey Senior member

Discount stores like Loehmann's are great for budgets. I don't know if you have one nearby you can pile discount upon discount and I've gotten some amazing deals. These DKNY shirts were $165 each and I bought two for $20 each, and a $265 Theory shirt for $35.

End of season sales are great too. In my experience, Marc Jacobs marks his stuff down 70% by the end of the season, and John Varvatos around 40%. Every store varies, though. Barneys is good too, they have some leather and sude shoes in the $100-$200 price range, although there was much more at the beginning of their sale.

3. ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite Senior member

4. keykoo

keykoo Senior member

stop wasting money on shitty jeans like R&R and TR.

5. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

wait you can afford RnR and TR but not nice jeans... oh lul

6. Doctor

Doctor Senior member

[​IMG]
    Nobody is about to actually dress like that at college. Not my college anyway... and I'm in the law school which has a reputation for being the best dressed.

7. APK

APK Senior member

Maybe elements of it. The jean jacket, the hat, and maybe even the tie. But not all of them together.

8. rlx

rlx Senior member

Nobody is about to actually dress like that at college. Not my college anyway... and I'm in the law school which has a reputation for being the best dressed.

Over the last year, I visited colleges all over the east coast and midwest (U.S.) with my son. Never saw anyone dressed like this. Mostly jeans and t-shirts.

9. Robert

Robert Senior member

I've been reading the forums and getting ideas for quite a while now, but I noticed that a lot of fashions aren't accessible for college students who get by on ramen and water.

Generally it's my policy to look slightly better than anybody else, but not so much such that I stick out or anything. A subtle chicness if you will.

A typical day generally looks like:
    • No Design Fitted Tee (BR, Gap)
    • Random Blue Jeans (R&R, TR, etc.)
    • Black Etnies

If I'm dressing for a date or something, I usually try to dress better, but still not too stuffily. That usually ends up with me wearing a fitted black button down, or just throwing an H&M overcoat on top of a shirt.

I was wondering whether anybody has any suggestions as to how I can expand my wardrobe. I'm specifically looking for affordable dress shoes which will go with jeans, and casual button downs which aren't just the standard black.

Also, what do you folks do about shorts? I feel like khaki cargo type shorts were never fashionable, and the quicksilver plaid type is questionable.

If it helps, I'm 5'7, asian, and have a fairly slender build.

Go here: http://www.omiru.com/index.php/categ..._made_outfits/

This site seems geared to the college kid crowd. Very Gap/American Eagle/J. Crew-ish.

10. rjakapeanut

rjakapeanut Senior member

My best advice would be to go for some core basics to start.

1.) American Apparel 2001 T-shirts. Run about $6 a piece on eBay, they last forever and don't fade very much. I've had 3 or 4 for over a year now and they look great still. Basic T-shirts aren't high fashion but they're essential in any casual wardrobe and these AA t's are the best imo and the price is right for you.

2.) For button down shirts on a budget...you'll have to work for these. Look at target...believe it or not they sell short and long sleeve button down shirts on the cheap that fit really well. You can't hope for tremendous quality but the price is right. Look at jantzentailor.com as well. Jantzen is a made-to-measure service -- you send them measurements off your body they send you a shirt that fits you like a glove. They have tons of fabrics to choose from, make sure you're clear about what you want though because they sometimes make errors with fabrics and such.

Wait for sales at GAP and jcrew.

3.) This is a big one: save for some new jeans. Everyone her would suggest a nice pair of slim/straight leg raw denim, and I would suggest that as well -- so long as you're comfortable in that sort of fit. Good brands to look at for a first pair are A.P.C. And Crate denim. The price point is around $150 before any discounts (there are several floating around this board) so I would suggest that you do lots of research and scout the perfect pair for you.

4.) For shoes I would suggest that you start from the ground up. Get some new casual shoes then work your way up to a pair of dress shoes that will fit what you have in your wardrobe. Get a pair of chuck taylors in a timeless color such as black or white. They look better with age and will never let you down at $35-40 a pair. Meanwhile, troll eBay for some discounted allen edmond shoes if you wish.

11. ctrlaltelite

just about half the people here are either in college or involved in academia, at my school some people dressed similar, mostly people in my major, although their clothes were pretty ill-fitting compared to hunter parrish.

12. Cavalier

Cavalier Senior member

Over the last year, I visited colleges all over the east coast and midwest (U.S.) with my son. Never saw anyone dressed like this. Mostly jeans and t-shirts.

people dress like that all over, even here around Ohio State (hipsters++)

13. Cavalier

Cavalier Senior member

A shirts off eBay $6-8 a piece, a pair or two of raw denim and a pair of shoes you like... not rocket science or very expensive

Sell your TR and RR jeans while there is still someone dumb enough to buy them

14. ctrlaltelite

to the op: many of the pieces in that shoot can easily be found at a thrift store, tweed or corduroy sportcoats especially. if they have leather elbow patches that's a plus, these could easily be paired with a button down under a college sweater or a sweater vest. one thing i did a lot of was buy a ton of beat up dress shoes, one pair of black and one pair of brown/burgundy brogues, a pair of plain loafers, and maybe just a plain pair of captoes. you can easily find these for around 10 bucks. recently urban's taken on some of these and selling them for 38 bucks in store. [​IMG] seller walneal is letting a bunch of sweet sportcoats go, for really good prices too: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...28#post2274228 as far as buttondowns are concerned, i'd reccommend a decent number of solid oxford shirts, two whites, a blue, and a pink or mint green is a good start, and checks like tattersall, candy stripe, or prince of wales. many of these can readily be found in a thrift store, albeit sometimes you'll have to shop in the boys' or women's sections to find a good fit. YMMV though. but i mean, if you pair the beat-up shoes, a well-fitting buttondown, and a classic-looking jacket it's a great way to tap into the prep-chic trend for cheap, especially at a place where it's most appropriate.

15. ctrlaltelite

i am also around your height, 5'8 and 36 in suit jackets, and find that a boys' L or XL in brooks brothers, polo, or cheap wal-mart/target shirting generally fits well.

16. Doctor

Doctor Senior member

^^ This is some good advice. Actually, I'm going to take it myself [​IMG]

17. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Senior member

I'm going to echo many of the other posts, but do not underestimate the power of thrifting. Especially in regards to dress shirts. Look for Brooks Brothers, Polo, Lands End, etc. and take them to a dry cleaner/tailor to have them altered. You'll come out with a shirt that fits like a glove and spend a fraction of what they would cost retail.

Also, getting a solid pair of jeans is a great investment. Around six months ago, I splurged for a pair of APC and haven't regretted it since. Crate and Ande Whall are also good beginner brands.

In regards to casual shoes, look for something cheap and classic. Vans authentics are my favorite, but Converse All-Stars and Jack Purcells seem to be favorites here as well. I'm also on the hunt for some Allen Edmonds. They will be a good investment since you will probably be looking for a job in a few years. Get something basic like some plain oxfords or captoes. Wingtips would also be a safe bet.

18. ctrlaltelite

average thrifted shirt = $5, tailoring costs 20-30 bucks, if you're a college student you may as well buy sale BR, j crew or gap at that price.

19. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Senior member

average thrifted shirt = $5, tailoring costs 20-30 bucks, if you're a college student you may as well buy sale BR, j crew or gap at that price.
    I agree with you, but I find that J Crew/BR/Gap shirts still fit a bit awkward. I've even taken some JCrew shirts to have the waist taken in, so it would billow out when tucked. It may cost about the same, but it looks much better. Not to mention, I love the Brooks collar roll, but I hate how even their slim fit shirts are blouse-y.

20. ctrlaltelite

hence, if you can, buy boys sizes. it's considerably cheaper too.