1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

College Branding on Cars/Shirts, etc.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by rockket, Jan 1, 2008.

1. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

I think wearing school shirts or having school bumper-stickers is pretty lame. I went to a good school and I avoid it all costs. I just think it comes off as try-hard. I think, however, that wearing a baseball hat with the logo of your university is okay, since it is the norm to wear caps with logos. Wearing a shirt with your school's logo is going out of your way, unless you wear university sweatshirts a lot. If you do, what are you doing on SF?

2. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

When I see window stickers from my undergrad alma, I know to watch that driver especially carefully.

3. Liberty Ship

Liberty Ship Senior member

[​IMG] The ultimate in good taste. Send your Lady Vol off in style. http://www.collegiatememorials.net/tennessee.html Of course, in my experience, when it comes to the big state schools, the biggest boosters often never went there, or didn't graduate.

4. whodini

whodini Senior member

With certain exceptions I see sporting an item with a college logo the same as wearing a Dodgers hat or a Lakers jersey. At least in LA I generally assume that if someone's wearing something from USC or UCLA they're rooting more for the athletics program than making a pretentious statement about having attended a well-regarded school. The same could probably be said for most West Coast universities and schools that are known more for their storied teams than academics (LSU, FSU, ND, UK, etc.).

I wear SC shirts and don't give a second thought about whether or not it's pretentious to support my team and school. But when I see certain non-athletic schools from the other coast...

5. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

With certain exceptions I see sporting an item with a college logo the same as wearing a Dodgers hat or a Lakers jersey. At least in LA I generally assume that if someone's wearing something from USC or UCLA they're rooting more for the athletics program than making a pretentious statement about having attended a well-regarded school. The same could probably be said for most West Coast universities and schools that are known more for their storied teams than academics (LSU, FSU, ND, UK, etc.). I wear SC shirts and don't give a second thought about whether or not it's pretentious to support my team and school. But when I see certain non-athletic schools from the other coast...
    Is that all we are to you? The "other coast"? [​IMG] We'll own you anyday, buddy.

6. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Well, in the past year and a half I have acquired two Balliol ties (striped and crested) and a Balliol scarf. Of course, nobody in my customary haunts would know what they stood for, anyway.

As far as sweatshirts, T-shirts, caps, etc., I suppose they're okay while you're attending the institution, otherwise tacky. Trebly so if you're wearing the sweatshirt of an institution you did not attend. Since I don't wear T-shirts, sweat shirts or ball caps in public and I shun any clothing with pictures (other than tiny game birds and the like on neckties) or writing on it, the matter is immaterial to me anyway.

7. whodini

whodini Senior member

Is that all we are to you? The "other coast"? [​IMG] We'll own you anyday, buddy.
    You can own this and my currently 68-degree weather.

8. Andrew V.

Andrew V. Senior member

Well I kinda like college t-shirts, preferably ones with block letters or other simple designs. I'm less fond of the sweatshirts, although I can't imagine what my father would wear all winter without his Michigan State ones. I don't see it as boasting, since many people have t-shirts from schools that they have not attended, but rather a friend or family member has, or they simply support the athletic team.

That said, I rarely wear mine around town unless there is a big game that day, but they're great for sleeping, working out, etc. My only problem is that since elementary school, every school that I have attended has had red as one of its colors, and I look terrible in red. Thank goodness for neutral heather grey.

If I had a child in college, I might a (COLLEGE) DAD coffee mug, but I'd appreciate it as kitsch and use it semi-ironically.

9. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

I too give free reign to parents who are funding that education (although they shouldn't be posting here...)

I don't like clothes with any words on the outside.

I'm afraid that the day I wear the MICHIGAN tee shirt is the day I bump into Stacey London, and I will lose the tiny chance that she will go to bed with me.

10. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

At least you go/went to the school...hopefully.

11. kronik

kronik Senior member

I never understood wearing the stuff after graduation -- at least publicly -- myself. Sure, wear a shirt or hat when you go there but after you graduate it's time to put on your big boy pants and be an adult.

Seconded.

12. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

I think it also depends on the style of the garment.

A knit polo shirt with the college seal or crest from on it is one thing, t-shirts from a college you didn't go to are another.

I regularly wear a collegiate emblematic belt. A good portion of J.Press merchandise is college-specific. If I went to these schools, I'd wear anything below (other than the UVA Polo polo unless I played polo there).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.mlahart.com/core/media/me...36519367496220

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Polo-brand polo-style shirt for a school with a polo team.

13. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

I'm afraid that the day I wear the MICHIGAN tee shirt is the day I bump into Stacey London, and I will lose the tiny chance that she will go to bed with me.
    So she's an Ohio State grad? Yes, that would be troublesome. I see nothing wrong with wearing a T-shirt or hat of where you graduated from in situations where wearing a T-shirt or hat is appropriate. It's the guy wearing the over-sized XXL bright orange coach-issue polo and jean shorts that I object to. And jerseys on grown men are pretty ridiculous, with the only possible exception if your team happens to be playing for a national title while you are wearing it. A lot of the stuff from state universities is pretty ugly even if you take the logo off, but a simple heather gray T-shirt with your schools name is aesthetically not that different from most band T-shirts.

14. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

So she's an Ohio State grad? Yes, that would be troublesome.

I see nothing wrong with wearing a T-shirt or hat of where you graduated from in situations where wearing a T-shirt or hat is appropriate. It's the guy wearing the over-sized XXL bright orange coach-issue polo and jean shorts that I object to. And jerseys on grown men are pretty ridiculous, with the only possible exception if your team happens to be playing for a national title while you are wearing it.

A lot of the stuff from state universities is pretty ugly even if you take the logo off, but a simple heather gray T-shirt with your schools name is aesthetically not that different from most band T-shirts.

She graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Vassar College with a double degree in 20th-century philosophy and German literature.

I'm assuming she's not a fan of Big 10 tee shirts as non-exercise wear.

15. j

j Senior member Admin

I have a shirt that says "College" on it - my friend had it made for a few of us when we graduated high school. I still occasionally wear it around the house or under something I'm not going to be taking off.

Around where I live (still pretty near my school) wearing the school logos/colors would make me look like a clone or like I was trying to hold on to some sort of glory. I didn't really like the school all that much anyway.

Plus it might wreck my chances with hipster girls who go to art schools or CCs and thus would think I was a bro of some kind trying to show off, or worse, someone who has no other clothes but logo'd sweats.

16. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I've been told by extended family that I'd "better get a college ring" if I wanted be with the crowd that "gets somewhere." I think they're gaudy (though my alma's is better than most), don't generally like them, do not wish to spend the grand, and doubt I want admission to this 'club,' if that's their standard, anyway.

Thoughts on this pronunciation?

To j's post -- hipster/artsy girls are more interesting than the annoying status-freak sorority girls anyway.

17. DNW

DNW Senior member

I've been told by extended family that I'd "better get a college ring" if I wanted be with the crowd that "gets somewhere." I think they're gaudy (though my alma's is better than most), don't generally like them, do not wish to spend the grand, and doubt I want admission to this 'club,' if that's their standard, anyway.

To j's post -- hipster/artsy girls are more interesting than the annoying status-freak sorority girls anyway.

A college ring is everything I hate in a ring. They're too big, too heavy, too gaudy, too carsalesman-y, and too gold. Actually, they very well reflect the people to wear them. Thanks, but no, thanks.

18. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

What's the opinion on college decals on cars or wearing shirts/sweatshirts emblazoned with your college name? Tacky?

What if the college name is considered "prestigious?" I'm an undergrad right now, and I feel fine wearing my stuff around campus, but I was trying to buy some college-themed gifts for my parents and ran into this conundrum. I'd like to show some school spirit once in a while, but I don't want to come off as pretentious.

Thoughts?
    Thanks,
    RK

not really my thing. but i wouldn't mind wearing my school colors or a sweatshirt with my school name on it if heading back for a college game or something.

as it is, my car used to be my mom's car, and it has the decals for my brother and sister's colleges (she got the car after I graduated, but not after they did). but not mine. as it is, i'm just too lazy to take them off.

19. James Bond

James Bond Senior member

I still wear my college shorts and t-shirts to work out in, and I have a crested tie and cufflinks from the college in Oxford at which I spent a summer. I wear the cufflinks probably once a month, but I haven't worn the tie in about a year.

20. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

Complete nonsense. While it may help you look the part of the full-of-himself ivy or pseudo-ivy league (Notre Dame, Duke, etc.) grad douchebag, I assure it will not have anything to do with your career prospects, or your general quality of life (no offense to those who are currently wearing rings from Notre Dame or Duke [​IMG] ). When you go to an interview, they already know what school you graduated from. If they insist, buy it and put it in a box as a memento of your time there. But for God's sake, don't wear some gold and red (or whatever) monstrosity around on your hand 24 hours a day. Have some respect for yourself.