• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collars - in or out of sweaters

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
When wearing a button-down underneath a v-neck sweater, how do you wear your collar?

I keep mine in at all times. I think it looks ridiculous splayed out in some sort of "look at me!! I'm a collar!!" fashion. It's also extraordinarily feminine looking.

I also prefer less than a half-inch of cuff showing, if any at all. Those who wrap their french cuffs up over their sweater cuffs are fundamentally marsupialed in my opinion. Another grossly female attribute poorly ported into menswear.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
strong opinions there, i keep mine in my sweater because i dont want to be attacked on the street by people like yourself.

smile.gif

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
My opinions are often incorrect. What I lack in correctness I make up for with passion.

Taxler

Reaction score
If you already know how it should be done, and why others do what they do, what's the point in asking?

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
If you already know how it should be done, and why others do what they do, what's the point in asking?

Because everyday I see people wearing it wrong. I want answers on why.

awxg

Reaction score
This is what I tend to do under a v-neck:

Button-down with tie: inside
Point collar with tie: inside
Button-down w/o tie: inside
Point collar w/o tie: outside (too hard to keep them in)

For a crewneck (only tieless): outside

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In.

yo!

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoJohn
Those who wrap their french cuffs up over their sweater cuffs are fundamentally marsupialed in my opinion. Another grossly female attribute poorly ported into menswear.

Agreed.

Everytime I see this I think of
kung-fu-suit03.jpg

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoJohn
When wearing a button-down underneath a v-neck sweater, how do you wear your collar?

I keep mine in at all times. I think it looks ridiculous splayed out in some sort of "look at me!! I'm a collar!!" fashion. It's also extraordinarily feminine looking.

I also prefer less than a half-inch of cuff showing, if any at all. Those who wrap their french cuffs up over their sweater cuffs are fundamentally marsupialed in my opinion. Another grossly female attribute poorly ported into menswear.

I always keep the collar in. If I'm wearing a non-BD collar and no tie, then I try to make sure it's a fairly wide spread one that will stay in. Usually I opt for an OCBD underneath a V-neck though.

I hate it when I see men with their FC shirts rolled back over their sweater cuff. However sometimes when warm I will roll up both my sweater and shirt sleeves. Is that poor taste as well?
eh.gif

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
collar in.

If the collar can't stay in, don't wear it.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to threadjack, but when you guys roll up your sleeves when wearing a sweater over a collared shirt, do you not fold up your cuffs over the sleeves of the sweater? I think it would look weird if you did it any other way. I can't find a picture, but hopefully you know what I mean.

I've never seen someone fold up their french cuffs over their sweater sleeve when fully extended, and agree that it would look horrible.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
Not to threadjack, but when you guys roll up your sleeves when wearing a sweater over a collared shirt, do you not fold up your cuffs over the sleeves of the sweater? I think it would look weird if you did it any other way. I can't find a picture, but hopefully you know what I mean.

I've never seen someone fold up their french cuffs over their sweater sleeve when fully extended, and agree that it would look horrible.

sounds unlikely to me, since i'm wondering how you would put the cufflink through it.

bc78

Reaction score
In. Don't like shirt sleeve rolled up over sweater.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads