1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

collars from custom shirtmakers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by fopkid, Oct 31, 2004.

1. fopkid

fopkid Well-Known Member

a number of threads have compared the relative merits of different custom shirt makers (ac, geneva, paris, etc.) will any of these copy precisely the collar of a favorite shirt, while otherwise crafting a custom garment? doubtless alex can/will do it, but he's above my current price point.

2. gregory

gregory Senior member

I remember reading somewhere that Ascot Chang will copy your favorite collar. Since it's a custom garment, I can't imagine why these custom shirtmakers won't give you exactly what you want.

3. 9_Ball_Slim

9_Ball_Slim Active Member

Depends on the tailor. I've found that some custom makers seem to have a house style that they are reluctant to stray from.

4. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Be careful how you ask someone to copy a collar. It is possible to get nearly all of the dimensions right and still not get the "look" you want, or the feel. I gave one of my best shirts to Ascot Chang once to copy, and when they produced their best shot at it, it looked totally different and didn't really fit. Different lining, slightly different placement of collar stays, etc., all adds up to a different experience. Same with Chipp. They will send your shirt to a factory and have your own personal pattern made (they don't really do their own bespoke). But the resulting product will not be the same.

So do bring in the shirt you like and try it on, have it photographed, or whatever. And then be prepared to have their effort be a little different the first time round.

5. Horace

Horace Senior member

I've had Harvie & Hudson and Ascot Chang make a Brooks BD collar for me, but they never got it right -- in proportion to rest of the shirt/

It was silly really, of me to have a Brooks collar copied -- as I'd rather just wear a Brooks collar on a Brooks shirt.

6. Concordia

If you're worried about fit or selection of cloth, go to Brooks' Digital Tailoring. Same collar available, shirt body that fits a lot better, 100s of fabrics. Also a $50 premium per shirt, but worth it IMO.

7. fopkid

fopkid Well-Known Member

concordia, thanks a lot for the advice. nevertheless, i have to recommend strongly against brooks brothers digital tailoring. the quality of the shirt was so-so, but what really took the cake was the collar -- one of the points was literally three quarters of an inch longer than the other.

8. Concordia

Thanks for the warning--- not my experience, but you never know.

Anyway, nobody else I know can do the Brooks collar on a shirt that fits.

9. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

It is possible for a custom shirtmaker to make an exact copy of a collar (if s/he wants to). However, in order to do so it is necessary to destroy the collar being copied. Without complete disassembly, there is no way to know the various curvatures used in the collar band and collar leaf. It is the 'marriage' of these curvatures when assembled which yields the 'look' of the finished collar.
    Additionally, once disassembled, the shirtmaker can discern the weight and type of the interlinings used and duplicate them.

The converse is also true: Without following the above procedure, having a copy come out looking and bahaving like the original would be pure luck.