• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collaring the angles on shirts and suits

quill

Reaction score
This may have been a topic done to death, but if not, I'd be curious to see how you guys pick your shirt collars, and how they work with your suit collars/lapels.

The basics seem obvious; spread collars for thinner faces, etc. But when it comes to suits with a narrow or wide lapel sweep, does that influence what shirt collars you'll wear in accompaniment? Are all these angles noticeable, or not worth worrying about? Does the theory of relativity come into play here, or is geometry getting in the way of just enjoying putting on a shirt and suitcoat?

Thanks for whatever advice you have, and I'll take my answers off the air. (Oh wait...this isn't radio...)

regularjoe

Reaction score
I only wear spread collar shirts and I try to make sure the collar points are long enough that they are covered by the suit. In terms of spread severity, it factors more into the type of knot I tie my tie in.

Point = Four in hand (I never use this though as I have almost no point collar shirts left)
Spread = Half windsor to full windsor, maybe four in hand if tie is really thick
Wide spreat/cutaway = Half windsor to full windsor

TomW

Reaction score
As I have a more square face and a rather short neck, I only wear point collars and the occassional semi-spread with fairly long points. I think fit is the most important item - nothing looks worse than a too tight or too loose collar - adding a tie only exacerbates the issue. As none of my suits or sport coats is too extreme in lapel width, I don't worry about it at all.

My $0.02

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a spread collar shirt with suits (end-on-end broadcloth) and a long-point buttondown collar with sport jackets (royal oxford), and tie a four-in-hand with both collars. I agree with Joe G that the spread collar should fit under the jacket. Here's an Alan Flusser discussion on shirt collars, circa 1984. Both his more recent books as well as Roetzel's "Gentleman" discuss this subject, but much hasn't changed. http://<a href="http://www.fashionma...7part2.htm</a>

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I believe that, for most faces, the occassion has more to do with the appropriate collar than the face.

For the city, I wear spread or tab collars and smoother textured shirtings. In the country, straight collars and more texture.

Will

TomW

Reaction score
I believe that, for most faces, the occassion has more to do with the appropriate collar than the face.

For the city, I wear spread or tab collars and smoother textured shirtings. In the country, straight collars and more texture.

Will
I respectfully disagree - I look ridiculous in a full spread collar at anytime. My short neck is emphasised by the breadth of collar making it even shorter. I do agree with you on texture - more polished for city wear more textured for country.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Generally I always wear spread collars with very short length. Seems to work best on me (long neck, medium-width face).

quill

Reaction score
Thank you gents.

You all make very valid...er...&quot;points&quot; (couldn't resist).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads