Collared Shirt with a Sweater?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

So I've seen (and tried out) the look of wearing a collared button up shirt with a sweater over top (v-neck or round)... a few questions for y'all:

1. What's your impression of the style in general, just Shirt and Sweater (fit, color combos, how formal is it...)
    2. What about adding a tie to the mix, so it's a shirt and tie with a sweater over?
    3. Adding more to the mix, a jacket overtop with or without the tie (sports coat or a suit)... is it a passable look, trying too hard, does it make you look like a snowman...?

Thanks, and as always let's reason/speak civily

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

It's a classic look. Personally, I would (and do) only wear this look with a button down collar shirt, and certainly never with a French cuff shirt.

I'm still against ties without jackets, even if you are wearing a sweater.

3. untilted

untilted Senior member

OCBD under shetland sweater. I do it in fall/winter all the time. Sometimes with a tie (rare). Sometimes with a tweed jacket over the sweater.

[​IMG]

A classic William F. Buckley look IMO.

4. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Senior member

So I've seen (and tried out) the look of wearing a collared button up shirt with a sweater over top (v-neck or round)... a few questions for y'all:

1. What's your impression of the style in general, just Shirt and Sweater (fit, color combos, how formal is it...)
    2. What about adding a tie to the mix, so it's a shirt and tie with a sweater over?
    3. Adding more to the mix, a jacket overtop with or without the tie (sports coat or a suit)... is it a passable look, trying too hard, does it make you look like a snowman...?

Thanks, and as always let's reason/speak civily

I rock this look all the time w/ V-Necks - never w/ a tie though. If it's cold enough I'll put a sport coat on over the sweater and shirt. I don't particularly like the crew neck/ button-up combo and found myself not really wearing my crew neck sweaters anymore.

5. TheIdler

TheIdler Senior member

Answering your questions in order,

1. It's a great look, though clearly not overly formal.
    2. I don't personally do this.
    3. I like this very much, without a tie. If I'm wearing a jacket without a tie, having just the shirt kind of creates a large blank space. Sometimes that's cool, but sometimes a V-neck adds a perfect amount of interest.

6. spertia

spertia Senior member

OCBD under shetland sweater. I do it in fall/winter all the time. Sometimes with a tie (rare). Sometimes with a tweed jacket over the sweater.

[​IMG]

And sometimes with several large, prominent stains on the chest. [​IMG]

7. TCN

TCN Senior member

It's a classic look. Personally, I would (and do) only wear this look with a button down collar shirt, and certainly never with a French cuff shirt.

+1

8. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

It the classic trad look.
    The only problem I have with it that modern buildings are always heated too warm for shirt+sweater+tie+wool(or cashmere) coat+cashmere overcoat. In NYC, say, I wear cardigan sweaters to deal with heat issue.

9. farfisa23

farfisa23 Senior member

I am wearing that right now.

Grey/Black pale striped Crewneck sweater, light lilac button down and black pin striped boot cut trousers, black polished semi-brogues.

I look nothing like William F. Buckley, but I think that's because I am not a Yalie blowhard. I think I look more like Gore Vidal in my get up.

10. Sator

Sator Senior member

I think it is fine - when you are at home.