Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Collared Shirt with a Sweater?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

So I've seen (and tried out) the look of wearing a collared button up shirt with a sweater over top (v-neck or round)... a few questions for y'all:

1. What's your impression of the style in general, just Shirt and Sweater (fit, color combos, how formal is it...)
    2. What about adding a tie to the mix, so it's a shirt and tie with a sweater over?
    3. Adding more to the mix, a jacket overtop with or without the tie (sports coat or a suit)... is it a passable look, trying too hard, does it make you look like a snowman...?

Thanks, and as always let's reason/speak civily

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

It's a classic look. Personally, I would (and do) only wear this look with a button down collar shirt, and certainly never with a French cuff shirt.

I'm still against ties without jackets, even if you are wearing a sweater.

3. untilted

untilted Senior member

OCBD under shetland sweater. I do it in fall/winter all the time. Sometimes with a tie (rare). Sometimes with a tweed jacket over the sweater.

[​IMG]

A classic William F. Buckley look IMO.

4. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Senior member

So I've seen (and tried out) the look of wearing a collared button up shirt with a sweater over top (v-neck or round)... a few questions for y'all:

1. What's your impression of the style in general, just Shirt and Sweater (fit, color combos, how formal is it...)
    2. What about adding a tie to the mix, so it's a shirt and tie with a sweater over?
    3. Adding more to the mix, a jacket overtop with or without the tie (sports coat or a suit)... is it a passable look, trying too hard, does it make you look like a snowman...?

Thanks, and as always let's reason/speak civily

I rock this look all the time w/ V-Necks - never w/ a tie though. If it's cold enough I'll put a sport coat on over the sweater and shirt. I don't particularly like the crew neck/ button-up combo and found myself not really wearing my crew neck sweaters anymore.

5. TheIdler

TheIdler Senior member

Answering your questions in order,

1. It's a great look, though clearly not overly formal.
    2. I don't personally do this.
    3. I like this very much, without a tie. If I'm wearing a jacket without a tie, having just the shirt kind of creates a large blank space. Sometimes that's cool, but sometimes a V-neck adds a perfect amount of interest.

6. spertia

spertia Senior member

OCBD under shetland sweater. I do it in fall/winter all the time. Sometimes with a tie (rare). Sometimes with a tweed jacket over the sweater.

[​IMG]

And sometimes with several large, prominent stains on the chest. [​IMG]

7. TCN

TCN Senior member

It's a classic look. Personally, I would (and do) only wear this look with a button down collar shirt, and certainly never with a French cuff shirt.

+1

8. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

It the classic trad look.
    The only problem I have with it that modern buildings are always heated too warm for shirt+sweater+tie+wool(or cashmere) coat+cashmere overcoat. In NYC, say, I wear cardigan sweaters to deal with heat issue.

9. farfisa23

farfisa23 Senior member

I am wearing that right now.

Grey/Black pale striped Crewneck sweater, light lilac button down and black pin striped boot cut trousers, black polished semi-brogues.

I look nothing like William F. Buckley, but I think that's because I am not a Yalie blowhard. I think I look more like Gore Vidal in my get up.

10. Sator

Sator Senior member

I think it is fine - when you are at home.