• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collared shirt under a crew neck top?

superstylin

Reaction score
Personally, I think collared shirts look much better when worn with V neck sweaters because crew necks (the round/circle type) look a bit too casual when contrasted over a business/dress type shirt.

But from a stylistic perspective, is it acceptable to wear a collared shirt under a crew neck top? Or would that be like wearing a suit jacket with trousers belonging to a different suit?

Last edited:

CSG123

Reaction score
Depends on whether you're wearing a tie but a button down shirt under a crew neck sweater is classic ivy/traditional style. I have both types of sweaters but tend to wear my crewnecks more often. If I want to layer over a shirt but under a jacket and wear a tie, I normally wear a V neck sweater vest rather than a full sweater. I never wear a tie with a crewneck.

superstylin

Reaction score
Good point about the tie.

Actually, I think the main reason my sweaters looked too casual had more to do with the cut and lack of elastic around the waist. They're like a thicker, long sleeved t shirt. Are these called something else?.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys ever wear crewneck or V neck sweaters over a non-button down shirt?

superstylin

Reaction score
I'd wear a t shirt under a crew neck but for a V neck I would prefer something with a collar such as a polo

herringbonePete

Reaction score
One of the more interesting viewpoints on SF and as I've said before: for me it's fine to wear a collar under a crew neck and I do it no other way : it's 'sharp' as we say, elegant and vaguely casual at the same time.

I even deliberately use a spread collar or cutaway : the round collar holds the points flat in exactly the right spot agonist my collar bone: looks neater than any other collar. I don't subscribe to this view that items of clothing are smart or casual: you can wear many of your clothes in many scenarios.

I like the look of a tie as well, even partly concealed as it would be : love the hint of the tie.

I find V necks look a bit nerdy, and create too much distraction and fuss..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads