Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Collared shirt under a crew neck top?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by superstylin, Nov 13, 2015.

1. superstylin

superstylin Member

Personally, I think collared shirts look much better when worn with V neck sweaters because crew necks (the round/circle type) look a bit too casual when contrasted over a business/dress type shirt.

But from a stylistic perspective, is it acceptable to wear a collared shirt under a crew neck top? Or would that be like wearing a suit jacket with trousers belonging to a different suit?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015

2. CSG123

CSG123 Member

Depends on whether you're wearing a tie but a button down shirt under a crew neck sweater is classic ivy/traditional style. I have both types of sweaters but tend to wear my crewnecks more often. If I want to layer over a shirt but under a jacket and wear a tie, I normally wear a V neck sweater vest rather than a full sweater. I never wear a tie with a crewneck.

3. superstylin

superstylin Member

Good point about the tie.

Actually, I think the main reason my sweaters looked too casual had more to do with the cut and lack of elastic around the waist. They're like a thicker, long sleeved t shirt. Are these called something else?.

4. Darkside

Darkside Distinguished Member

Do you guys ever wear crewneck or V neck sweaters over a non-button down shirt?

5. superstylin

superstylin Member

I'd wear a t shirt under a crew neck but for a V neck I would prefer something with a collar such as a polo

6. 7_rocket

7_rocket Distinguished Member

Yes

7. herringbonePete

herringbonePete Senior Member

One of the more interesting viewpoints on SF and as I've said before: for me it's fine to wear a collar under a crew neck and I do it no other way : it's 'sharp' as we say, elegant and vaguely casual at the same time.

I even deliberately use a spread collar or cutaway : the round collar holds the points flat in exactly the right spot agonist my collar bone: looks neater than any other collar. I don't subscribe to this view that items of clothing are smart or casual: you can wear many of your clothes in many scenarios.

I like the look of a tie as well, even partly concealed as it would be : love the hint of the tie.

I find V necks look a bit nerdy, and create too much distraction and fuss..