Collared shirt under a crew neck top?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by superstylin, Nov 13, 2015.

1. superstylin

superstylin Member

Personally, I think collared shirts look much better when worn with V neck sweaters because crew necks (the round/circle type) look a bit too casual when contrasted over a business/dress type shirt.

But from a stylistic perspective, is it acceptable to wear a collared shirt under a crew neck top? Or would that be like wearing a suit jacket with trousers belonging to a different suit?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015

2. CSG123

CSG123 Member

Depends on whether you're wearing a tie but a button down shirt under a crew neck sweater is classic ivy/traditional style. I have both types of sweaters but tend to wear my crewnecks more often. If I want to layer over a shirt but under a jacket and wear a tie, I normally wear a V neck sweater vest rather than a full sweater. I never wear a tie with a crewneck.

3. superstylin

superstylin Member

Good point about the tie.

Actually, I think the main reason my sweaters looked too casual had more to do with the cut and lack of elastic around the waist. They're like a thicker, long sleeved t shirt. Are these called something else?.

4. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Do you guys ever wear crewneck or V neck sweaters over a non-button down shirt?

5. superstylin

superstylin Member

I'd wear a t shirt under a crew neck but for a V neck I would prefer something with a collar such as a polo

6. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Yes

7. herringbonePete

herringbonePete Senior member

One of the more interesting viewpoints on SF and as I've said before: for me it's fine to wear a collar under a crew neck and I do it no other way : it's 'sharp' as we say, elegant and vaguely casual at the same time.

I even deliberately use a spread collar or cutaway : the round collar holds the points flat in exactly the right spot agonist my collar bone: looks neater than any other collar. I don't subscribe to this view that items of clothing are smart or casual: you can wear many of your clothes in many scenarios.

I like the look of a tie as well, even partly concealed as it would be : love the hint of the tie.

I find V necks look a bit nerdy, and create too much distraction and fuss..