Collar

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by drjol, Oct 25, 2015.

1. drjol

drjol Member

Does anybody have any idea how to ensure that a collar falls inwards like in the picture on the left, rather than folding out like on the right. I always wear shirts without a tie (not allowed for hygiene reasons, in my job). Apologies for the lack of ironing (this does, however, make no difference to the outcome).

[​IMG]

Many thanks!

2. powerkicker

powerkicker Senior member

Buy button down collars or try shirt stays.

3. drjol

drjol Member

Thanks for your reply. I should have inserted the collar stays for the pictures, but actually they do not seem to prevent splaying of the collar. Ideally I would want to achieve the effect without button downs, as in the shirt on the left.

4. TOstyle

TOstyle Senior member

You can get hidden button down shirts, that have little buttons under the collar to keep it in (without looking like an American style button down shirt). You can also get these collar stay things I've seen that are magnetic, and that helps pinch the collar upright rather than splaying.

5. drjol

drjol Member

Many thanks. I'll look in to these.

6. WillisAU

WillisAU Well-Known Member

Are those the same size collar? Seems to me that the shirt on the right has a smaller collar size, and pulls collar flatter.

Might also be from a tighter fit across the chest, pulling the buttons and flattening that part of your collar. I've found a looser fitting shirt keeps that section of the button up more upright...

Hope some of that makes sense.

7. kathleenjones

kathleenjones New Member

Go for shirts with reinforced or ready stiffening built into the collar itself, while making the purchase.

Also, certain shirts come with collars designed with slots to insert a metal strip around the neck to ensure stiffness.

Make sure you do your research prior to purchase to get the best possible option for you.

8. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

CEGO has a patent pending method of keeping the collars up, Unfortunately, it is only available in our shop at the time being.

9. drjol

drjol Member

Thanks for the suggestions. The shirt on the right is tighter in the chest but the collar size is the same. This could be one of the causes.