• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar unbuttoned with tie acceptable? (not the way you think)

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Howdy all, SW&D refugee here.

Just secured gainful employment, but quick problem: the dress code is shirt and tie. Here's the issue: I have a thick neck. Like 16.5" thick. But I'm not the biggest dude (5'6", 155 lb, 32 sleeve) and I work out a lot, so the last thing I want is a shirt that has a 16.5 body that billows around me.

Now, I was wondering if it would be acceptable if i just took my perfectly-fitting-but-14.5"-neck shirts (of which I have quite a few) and pushed the tie up to the collar all the way (not that rakish, unbuttoned-tie-loosened look, but rather, so the tie is covering the top button). The tie space is a little large, but not egregiously so. I think I can get away with it, especially if i tie a bigger knot, but I'm not the person that I'm trying to please.

so what do you guys think...acceptable or no?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pictures with said shirt/tie/neck pls.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steps:

Buy a 16.5"/33" shirt. They are common enough from Jermyn street makers like T M Lewin and Pink

Have a tailor take in the seams and add darts to the shirt. In the UK this costs between £10 and £20.

Love your perfect shirts. Or if you're feeling big-time check out Modern Tailor and have some shirts made up at $30 each with some sensible measurements.

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It could work. But I'd say it would be better to buy the correct size of a very slim fitting shirt or just get slim fit and get it tailored.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, man, I've got to chime in here and say no. 95% of the game is about fit, and the fit of your buttoned collar is important enough that, hey, that and sleeve length are how they actually size RTW shirts. It's going to be noticeable, and I would think will become more noticeable as your day goes on and you move around and the collar slips. Do what people here are suggesting and get shirts that fit.

Roger Everett

Reaction score
I have a similar problem to you, about the same size, but have 7 lbs. on you. A 15 1/2 or med. in sport shirt, but need a 16- 32/33 in dress shirt, due to neck. Long time ago, I tried button extenders, but collar bunches a bit when buttoned ( read - looks like **** ). What I do is buy 16 fitted / slim shirts, works fine , however shirt to friggin long. About a yard too much fabric when trying to put the johnson away at the mens room. I automaticly take shirts to local tailor when I buy one and have them cut down in length ( $ 14 in my area ). On occasion when I have to buy a unfitted shirt, I also go to tailor and have them fit it and taper ( $ 14- 18 plus the $14 to shorten ).
It may seem like extra trouble and expence, but when your shirt fits and pleases you, you feel better and look better.

Roger

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd get new shirts. Doing your math, if you have 14.5" shirts but a 16.5" neck, that's TWO INCHES of tie space. Sounds egregious to me. And the collar is going to start slipping around, as TheIdler points out. You're also going to have a funny split opening up under the tie, causing wrinkles and creases. I think it will be quite obvious what you are up to, and it will not be flattering.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I'd get new shirts. Doing your math, if you have 14.5" shirts but a 16.5" neck, that's TWO INCHES of tie space. Sounds egregious to me.
Yeah... two inches? I've done that kind of thing when needing an extra half inch or so (and moving the neck button wasn't enough) and got away with it, but two inches sounds like way too much to not be obvious.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty

Just secured gainful employment, but quick problem: the dress code is shirt and tie. Here's the issue: I have a thick neck. Like 16.5" thick. But I'm not the biggest dude (5'6", 155 lb, 32 sleeve) and I work out a lot, so the last thing I want is a shirt that has a 16.5 body that billows around me.

Now, I was wondering if it would be acceptable if i just took my perfectly-fitting-but-14.5"-neck shirts (of which I have quite a few) and pushed the tie up to the collar all the way (not that rakish, unbuttoned-tie-loosened look, but rather, so the tie is covering the top button). The tie space is a little large, but not egregiously so. I think I can get away with it, especially if i tie a bigger knot, but I'm not the person that I'm trying to please.

so what do you guys think...acceptable or no?

No, it'll look as though your collar is too small. Buy new shirts.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
No, it'll look as though your collar is too small. Buy new shirts.

+1

I have a shirt thats half inch too small around collar and it already looks weird enough with the button moved. So it has now been relegated to unbuttoned collar casual only (it having a placket also makes it more obvious though). So 2 inches is just too crazy.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty

No. At best it'll look like you got fat and don't fit your clothes anymore. Why work out and then dress this way?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd have to see this. One of my friends is a hockey player, 42" chest and wears a 15.5" collar. Another one of my friends is a body builder with a 44" chest and has a 16.5" neck. I have a few more but they're all in that range. The shirt bodies usually fit them pretty well with the bigger sizes needing a little trimming in the waist.

What your saying is quite an out lier, is it possible that you just like your collar to fit very loosely? If I were in your situation I would try 15, 15.5 and 16" collars and see what the smallest size you can button is, then go from there.

jmoody15

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsmolken
Yeah... two inches? I've done that kind of thing when needing an extra half inch or so (and moving the neck button wasn't enough) and got away with it, but two inches sounds like way too much to not be obvious.

Not gonna work -- from personal experience:

My neck grew about half an inch after a throat surgery, and so all of my shirts were half an inch too small (I like my collars snug around my neck) and I couldn't button them anymore. I did exactly what you propose, as I couldn't buy an entire wardrobe of new shirts immediately. It looked a bit ridiculous, and the tie inevitably loosens itself throughout the day, causing the look you state you're trying to avoid. Adding half an inch to the gap would look clownish.

Buy the balloon-ish shirts, and get them altered to fit properly. But it would look better to wear one unaltered for the time being than to show up with the 14.5 shirt

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba

What your saying is quite an out lier, is it possible that you just like your collar to fit very loosely? .

Or he has a fat neck.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Go custom. You'll be so happy. NYC has CEGO and Geneva. Or there's always one of the online guys.

Altering larger size RTW could work, but will not be nearly as comfy. And the alteration costs can add up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads