• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar unbuttoned with tie acceptable? (not the way you think)

werty369

Reaction score
Man. We are on the same boat.

I own Thom Browne 0s which fit my torso perfectly but kills my neck when I try on a tie. However, I still enjoy wearing them without a tie. In fact, I prefer Thom Browne 0s with no tie 'cause the fit is so good. So the dilemma only exists when it comes to some occasions when wear a tie is deemed appropriate.

The shirts in the pictures do seem to fit great on your body, yet you are experiencing the same problem I have around the neck. I usually do "Pratt" for such cover-up because I prefer slimmer-looking knot ("4 in hand would just give it away a little bit too easily). Based on what I'm seeing, the problem you should (or may I say we should) worry about is not whether you can get away with it. Yes, you can pull it off if you try, but you should ask yourself how much comfort you're willing to sacrifice?

My solution is to buy two sizes. One is for casual un-buttoned look; and the other for the tie look. It will be a great investment in a common-color shirt that works with almost everything (let's say... a white oxford shirt). Since you've got to wear them all the time, you don't want to deal with the problem so often. Also the fit on the body becomes less relevant when you tuck in a shirt. It makes me a lot happier than having to squeeze my neck with all that BS.

Reckoner

Reaction score
If the shirt collar spreads underneath the tie out too much it will look sloppy.

But if it stays put then you might get away with it.

Depends, is it an interview? or permanent dress.

I would get a new shirt, bespoke maybe.

And the tie would be better if it was thinner for your height, and the length - end of the tie - should hit the middle of your belt buckle.

bing

Reaction score
i do this with 15" collars that i have grown out of...i use a 15.5 now... but you can't tell at all that i have left the top button un-done.

a full 2" is going to be tough to pull off.

look harder for the right shirts.

AlmostSmart

Reaction score
I guess it's a case of what is the priority. To have a shirt that fits in the body and not particularly in the neck area, or to have a shirt that fits perfectily in the neck area but not in the body. I would prefer the former.

Very seldom do my shirts manage to fit in both areas, being too small in the neck area. I have tried these collar expanders.... until my tie knot slipped one day at work to reveal this awful 'contraption'. It was trashed.

I figure that a larger tie knot would suit the purpose if the top button could not comfortably be fastened?

raphaelargus

Reaction score
Try on an Extra Slim Fit at Brooks Brothers. They're actually pretty slim, unlike their regular Slim Fit which is still pretty blousy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads