• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar too tight? Move the button.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I noticed that some of my older Jantzen shirts were getting too tight in the neck. I think I'd ordered them a little small to begin with, but it didn't bother me much as I wear ties infrequently. Anyway, it started to annoy me, so I took out my sewing kit and moved the top button over 3/8". Now they are perfectly comfortably. There's a little more "tie space" but they still look good.

blahblahblah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I noticed that some of my older Jantzen shirts were getting too tight in the neck. I think I'd ordered them a little small to begin with, but it didn't bother me much as I wear ties infrequently. Anyway, it started to annoy me, so I took out my sewing kit and moved the top button over 3/8". Now they are perfectly comfortably. There's a little more "tie space" but they still look good.

Um, i've tried that, and it looks obviously off when you button the shirt....

tlmusic

Reaction score
Every time I've tried moving a top button to save a too-small shirt collar, the collar ends up looking off-center.

Replacing the collar is usually the only solution.

If the shirts are white, not so much of a problem.

If the shirts are colors and patterns, you will end up with white contrasting collars (which need French cuffs) or sometimes you can take a piece of fabric from the shirt tail and make a new collar (difficult to impossible with stripes).

coachvu

Reaction score
Never had a problem moving a button. It's a great way to "customize" an OTR shirt, as long as you don't have to move it too much.

coachvu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlmusic
Replacing the collar is usually the only solution.
I've only heard of doing this as a way to replace an old, frayed collar. I don't think it's possible to change a collar size without replacing many more parts of the shirt than just the collar.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachvu
I don't think it's possible to change a collar size without replacing many more parts of the shirt than just the collar.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I believe it depends on the construction of the shirt.

I've had the collar size increased on two different shirts. Once on a Turnbull and Asser shirt, (T&A did the replacement) and also a BB Golden Fleece formal shirt. Both those shirts had split yokes and were worth saving.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt it would be economical to replace the collar of a jantzen shirt anyhow as it'd probably be cheaper to just have a new one made.

dl

Harrydog

Reaction score
Instead of moving the button, why not use one of those button attachments...button attached to a loop that produces the same effect..a little more room in the neck. I picked some up at my dry-cleaners.

I never loosen my tie and unbutton anyway, until I am removing the shirt.

This kind of device lets me get some use out of a few favorite shirts that have gone a little tight in the collar.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't notice how old this thread is.

Originally Posted by chorse123
I would agree it's not perfect, but when the shirt is worn with a tie, it is not bad, and hardly noticeable if you can tell at all.

I'm glad you've had good luck with moving the button on your shirts. I've got a few shrunk shirts, and I may try moving the button on them--it would be great to have results like yours.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Harrydog
Instead of moving the button, why not use one of those button attachments...button attached to a loop that produces the same effect..a little more room in the neck. I picked some up at my dry-cleaners.

I never loosen my tie and unbutton anyway, until I am removing the shirt.

This kind of device lets me get some use out of a few favorite shirts that have gone a little tight in the collar.

I have also used those attachments, and they seem to work pretty well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads