• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar Stretcher: Is this going to work?

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Due to a certain amount of wholly involuntary exercise lately, my neck has gotten bigger and my shirt collars are starting to bind. I don't want to start getting bigger collars both because it would get expensive and because most of my shirts are RTW and fit badly enough now as it is. Does anyone know if this -- or something like it -- works? http://www.shoeandfootcare.com/p/901-002-00/ When I say "works" I suppose it is obvious enough that this will stretch the collar somewhat, but how much can you stretch a collar without wrecking it? The text says "1/2-2 inches" but this seems ridiculous. I'm sure you can stretch it less than 1/2 inch and I doubt seriously that you could stretch it by 2 inches. So has anyone tried this? What happened?

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
I received this free w a shoe stretcher I bought a few years ago.

My thoughts on it -

1 - Yes, it does work. Collar can be a bit rumpled after your done bc you have to dampen it, so you may need to hit it with an iron quick.

2 - The counter top method shown to me by Carl from CEGO also works, and definitely faster. Just run the shirt collar briskly over a sharp sturdy countertop a few times. Doesnt get quite the stretch #1 does, but has saved me getting dressed in the morning more than once....

Edit -

My guess is you can get at least an inch from #1, and a half inch from #2.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It'll stretch the collar back (close) to its original size, which may be 3/8" bigger than the labeled size, but will probably be less. It won't make it any bigger than that.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you wear your collars buttoned and with a tie, I've seen little stretch loop-link thingies (think mini bungee cords) that you can hook your collar-button to collar-button-hole and get 1/4-1/2" out of. It sounds ridiculous, but I saw a salesperson wearing one and his tie hid it perfectly fine.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkBuck
2 - The counter top method shown to me by Carl from CEGO also works, and definitely faster. Just run the shirt collar briskly over a sharp sturdy countertop a few times. Doesnt get quite the stretch #1 does, but has saved me getting dressed in the morning more than once....
Could you elaborate? How exactly do you do this? How much tension do you have to apply? Doesn't it wreck the collar?

southbound35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by razl
If you wear your collars buttoned and with a tie, I've seen little stretch loop-link thingies (think mini bungee cords) that you can hook your collar-button to collar-button-hole and get 1/4-1/2" out of. It sounds ridiculous, but I saw a salesperson wearing one and his tie hid it perfectly fine.

True as long as the shirt doesn't have a wide tie opening to start with (meaning / \\ vs / \\ ). If the shirt has a wide opening, the extra 1/4- to 1/2-inch will be noticeable.

tgt465

Reaction score

No experience with these, but they usually go by the name "collar extender". Google will find many varieties of these. How did you tell that the salesperson was wearing one if it was hidden?

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds not just ridiculous; sounds like it's time to get a new shirt (or two).

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tgt465
No experience with these, but they usually go by the name "collar extender". Google will find many varieties of these. How did you tell that the salesperson was wearing one if it was hidden?

I didn't; they had them at the counter but after looking at them, I just couldn't figure out what they were for (it wasn't immediately clear they were intended for the collar and I had thoughts they were for your shirt buttons!) I asked the salesperson and instead of explaining he just lifted his tie and, well, voila!

Kurt N

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
... The text says "1/2-2 inches" but this seems ridiculous...

The listing says the gadget can be used on collars and also on the waistband of children's trousers. 2 inches probably refers to the latter application.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads