• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

collar stays

seanandnik

Reaction score
sorry for dumb question, but I did a search and came up with a lot of finds but nothing of what I was looking for. So, here is my dumb question. I just received a Borrelli white linen shirt with light blue and yellow striped cuffs and collar. This shirt is absolutely amazing, I have a Brioni I bought a while ago, but this totally blows that one away. The buttons are so thick and luscious.. The fabric is awesome, the colors phenomonal.Also the hand sewn buttonholes are extraordinary. Well here is my dumb question, It came with 2 plastic collar stays, at least I think that is what they are, how do they fit in/on? (pics would be nice)I have never even seen them before, let alone tried to put some on, so please help me and have some pity on a new to the higher end market shirt buyer. Thanks in advance......Sean

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Flip up the collar.
2. You should observe two parallel lines of stitching ending at the collar points.
3. Lift fabric opening between parallel lines of stitching at end opposite collar points.
4. Insert collar stays into fabric openings.
5. Flip collar down.
6. Enjoy better looking collar.

Hope that helps.

edit: pluarlized point and opening.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Look under the shirt collar, near the points. There should be two clearly visible pockets, one on each side. Just slide the stays in, one per pocket. Be sure to remove them before having the shirt cleaned.

Phil

Reaction score
Flip the collar up, look for a flap of fabric in which to run the plastic collar stay into, insert collar stay in each collar point.

seanandnik

Reaction score
i have looked and looked, but there is no pocket or anything anywhere on front on back or anywhere near the collar. could it have come with them and not need them>? do they just come with every little book Borrelli puts on their shirts?

seanandnik

Reaction score
also, it is a button down collar, but when bottoned down there is a bulge in the collar, i mean it does not lay flat when buttoned. is this tio leave room for a tie? so they only lay flat if unbuttoned without tie?

mano

Reaction score
In my experience, button-down collars do not accept collar stays. The stays that come with the shirt are either a cruel trick or a gift. You choose which. Button-down collars tend not to lay flat as point collars do. Wearing a tie with that shirt should be done with the buttons buttoned. Enjoy the shirt.
biggrin.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
That's the answer. No stays for a button-down. So, yes, they probably prepare a little package for all their shirts, which is the same no matter what the collar style.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
also, it is a button down collar, but when bottoned down there is a bulge in the collar, i mean it does not lay flat when buttoned. is this tio leave room for a tie? so they only lay flat if unbuttoned without tie?
It's known as a "Roll Button-Down" and was popularized by Brooks Brothers before we were all out of (bespoke) diapers. It is not supposed to lay flat, nor is it meant to use collar stays.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own a bizarre Hugo Boss (IMS) that has a button-down collar. The bizarre elements are that (1) the collar buttons down by means of a loop hidden behind the collar point (so that the button does not show throught the collar) and (2) the collar takes stays as well. The only time I have seen this design.

seanandnik

Reaction score
Well thank you gentlemen, what would I have done without this great site ? Whew,I almost went to a dry cleaner and told them to press the collar flat while buttoned.I guess they just come with all Borrelli shirts, and thank you Alex for the explanation, you seem to know exactly what I was talking about, gee being a shirt designer/maker probably helped huh? So it is meant to be worn buttoned without a tie and with a bulge, roll? correct?

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
being a shirt designer/maker probably helped huh?
No. I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

So it is meant to be worn buttoned without a tie and with a bulge, roll? correct?
It can be worn either way. The buttondown part is always buttoned and rolls. When wearing without a tie, it is common to leave the top (collar) and (optionally) first front buttons unbuttoned. It is also meant to be worn with a tie. William F. Buckley is probably the most notable for never being seen in anything but. He offers new meaning to the word "frumpy".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads