• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar size when wearing a tie

sharpsuit

Reaction score
Hello gents

I have just started a new job with a very formal dress code - suit and tie required at all times for the guys - whereas in my last job it was business casual, and we only wore ties when seeing clients.

Anyway I have just bought a whole load of new shirts because I had my neck measured and I am told I am actually 15.5, all the time I had been wearing a 16" collar. I think the collar size isn't really that important if going tieless, however it is true that 16" is too loose for me as there's still a small gap between the collar and the neck.

However I have got to say that I am struggling to find it comfortable to wear a collar and tie all day every day, especially in this summer heat - it gets to mid afternoon and I just want to unbutton the collar and loosen the tie - which is not really an option in my office!

Does anyone have some tips for staying comfortable without resorting to an unsightly bigger collar size or just unbuttoning the top button?

Thanks!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Doesn't your office have A/C?

-Unbutton the collar and don't loosen the tie.
-Get a small desk fan.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, sharp. It doesn't matter what size collar you wear....if it's hot, you're going to be hot in a tie. You can always try some lighter weight shirts. Chambray is one of my favorite summer fabrics.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No a/c - based in the UK! Not standard everywhere....

-Get a small desk fan.

OOd3xFJ.jpg

You will be the envy of the office.

Last edited:

A10ACN

Reaction score
As stated above, look for shirts in material suited for hot weather, but, also look into different shirt brands and custom shirt makers. The height, width, and construction of the collar band has a lot to do with how the collar fits on YOUR neck and how the collar lays. HTH.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads