• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar "shortening"

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Collar "shortening" - anyone ever had this alteration done?

For some reason, several suit jackets/ sport coats and blazers that I've tried on recently seem to have a bit of extra fabric rolling beneath the collar on the back of the jacket.

I was informed that this can be solved by having the "collar shortened" by a tailor.

Has anyone ever done this with good results?

Do people know what I am talking about?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
This is one of the most botched alterations in RTW.

What often happens is that the alterations tailor will not want to f with the sleevehead, and so, will undo the shoulder seams midway. This mostly gets rid of the roll behind the collar, but then produces a mid-shoulder bump on either side.

I've had tailors, ranging from those who do competant bespoke clothes but who also accept alterations, to those who are honest workman but not as high end, still shorten collars this way, and it taught me to avoid any RTW jacket where the collar needs to be shortened.

Alterations depend on two things:

1. The degree to which a tailor is willing to disassemble the garment. Theoretically, of course, you can dismantle the whole thing, so there is a point of return where the cost is diminishing.

2. The tailor can make something smaller than the fabric available, but cannot make it bigger.

I've only heard of two tailors that will go all the way with an alteration. The rest do something half assed.

- B

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
someone gave you the wrong term.
you dont want to shorten the collar, you want to shorten the back.
this will get rid of that roll.
voxsartoria is right, the most common way of doing this is difficult to get right.
doing it right takes much more time and costs more.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah, it seems like best not to buy a SC if the "collar" - in reality the fabric located beneath the collar at the back of the suit needs "shortening"

I am not a tailor, but it does not seem like an "easy" alteration, if done properly.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've thought about taking a safety pin to the material on the underside of the collar & being done with it
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan