• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar me!

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Doesnt BB make 15/36?
They do, but their regular fits are cut for men with large bellies and their slim fits are cut for men with small chests.

I guess that is not the easiest size. You need a Borrelli collar on a mytailor..com shirt.
MyTailor offers an English spread collar and I've already got one on order. Unfortunately, I didn't order it with longer points or a taller band. Next time I'll know better.

TTO

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesnt BB make 15/36? I guess that is not the easiest size. You need a Borrelli collar on a mytailor..com shirt.
We all need this!
-TTO

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used mytailor.com several years ago for shirts. I switched to my current shirtmaker, because I could never get them to make a collar I liked. In my opinion, their inability to make a good collar was the main reason for moving on. I've seen good collars from them, but on the whole, most I've seen leave me wanting.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
I used mytailor.com several years ago for shirts. I switched to my current shirtmaker, because I could never get them to make a collar I liked.
And your current shirtmaker is...

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
And your current shirtmaker is...
Freddy Vandecasteele. I'm in DC like you, but Freddy is actually in Los Angeles and doesn't travel. My wife's family is in LA, so I'm out there often enough that it can work. Overall, I liked my experience with mytailor, particularly with the ability to visit with a tailor basically every month in DC. I think Mr. Hemrajani is great and runs a nice operation. The shirts represent a good value, and he makes a quality product. His fabric selection is great, and the construction is solid. I've recommended him to many people and continue to do so. There was always something just a little off on the collars, though. Maybe you could try on some off the rack shirts with various collars until you find one you like. You could then get mytailor to copy it.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, my moderntailor collars ($50 on sale) are pretty good. They aren't ideal, but come very close to my uber-expensive OTR shirts.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on the first pics I posted, I am completely on board with those who think I need to try a taller collar band with longer points, but here's another factor to consider. Take a look at how far the back of my shirt collar sticks up above my jacket collar in this pic:

CottonSCleft.jpg

That's quite a lot of shirt collar showing already. Probably at least an inch. It might end up looking pretty silly if I add any more band height to future collars.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More spread, keep point lenght, bottom of collar most be "scooped out" as we say, to help it lay and "spread"- out. That collar is simply poorly designed (not your fault)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads