• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

thefuryuk

Reaction score
i can imagine the answer to this is quite simply "nothing" but....

Bought some new shirts recently (Harvie Hudson) and they fitted at first.

Since then, the collar button seems to have tightened somewhat so it makes it possible but almost painful to do the top button.

I know most collars shrink but these seem to have more than other brands.

I like the shirts (and spent money on them) so was wondering what others would do in my situation?
(I will lose weight and so eventually they will fit - but in meantime, is there anything i can do to "stretch" the collar a little??)

Would anyone just do a big knot tie and try disguise an undone top button (i know its a fashion crime in these forums but what choice do i have??!)

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't use a big knot to hide an unbuttoned top button. I've got a couple shirts that I can't comfortably wear with the top button closed. I just tie my tie properly and don't sweat it. They're buttondown collar shirts, though, so a little mussiness is no problem.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, I always wash dress shirts in cold water to help avoid this problem. Not that this helps you very much now.

I have had this problem myself so I bought a collar stretcher. This works but the way it grips the collar to stretch it can leave some pretty serious marks so you have to be careful. You also have to do it after every wash.

One trick I learned here is holding the collar with both hands and running it over a 90 degree table edge several times. This does work but it must put a huge amount of wear on the collar so I can't recommend it as a regular fix.

Wayward

Reaction score
Look into collar extenders. Basically, it's a button attached to an elastic loop that you hook onto the shirt's collar button. The collar extender provides a second buttoning point and creates some room.

Of course this only goes so far, so if the shirt's really shrunken a lot, then it may not be enough.

johnvw

Reaction score

Look into collar extenders. Basically, it's a button attached to an elastic loop that you hook onto the shirt's collar button. The collar extender provides a second buttoning point and creates some room.

Of course this only goes so far, so if the shirt's really shrunken a lot, then it may not be enough.

+1. Assuming the shirts still fit through the body, one other possibility would be for you (or a tailor/alterations person) to move the collar button toward the outside edge of the collar to maximize size.

Mr Cucumber

Reaction score
Yeah, the easiest way is to just move the button. You don't need much extra space so it won't screw the proprtions or the look of the collar.

thefuryuk

Reaction score
Thanks for advice. the rest of shirt hasnt shrunk, just the collar.
I always wash shirts at 30 and hang dry so its not my washing technique (also have numerous other TmLewins that havent shrunk that much in the few years ive had them)
(also believe that its normally the dryer that shrinks clothes more than the washer)

Maybe i should order 0.5" larger next time and slightly more fitted so it doesnt drown me!

Collar extenders seem a bit drastic to me. I think ill move the button or go for "no button and big knot."

Last edited:

josiahj

Reaction score
Second vote for moving the collar button if all you need is an 8th of an inch or so, it might screw up the angle of your collar and placket though if you move it too much, so be careful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads