• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar bars

scjayhawk

Reaction score
Does anyone else wear collar bars? Â One of the reasons I started buying bespoke dress shirts was to be able to get a collar with eyelets (pinholes). Â I like the way that a collar bar makes the tie knot stand out away from the shirt, and they look great with cufflinks. Â My local tailor thinks I am the only person in town to wear a collar bar. Â Maybe I'll start a new trend. Check out Alec Baldwin in The Aviator. Â His character wears collar bars throughout the movie and I think he looks really sharp. Does anyone know of a source for collar bars? Â I have one $65 Robert Talbott collar bar with white MOP accents on the ends. Â They are also available with colored accents, but I hate to pay $65 each for several more. Â I have not had much luck finding nice collar bars on the internet, and most of my ebay searches have turned up the friction fit type that slides over the collar. Â I want the pin type with the ball that screws onto one end.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
H. Herzfeld in New York has (or used to have; I haven't been in at least a year) a wide selection.

Murrah

Reaction score
This finally moved me from lurker to poster.

I've seen some collar bars (screw-on end) in a custom shop here in the Galleria (Houston). I'll stop by at lunch this week and check them out for you.

My question: I've seen photos of gentlemen wearing a collar pin (looks like a large safety pin) as a collar bar/pin. Does one's collar have to have holes to wear those or do you just pin the collar? I've seen some photos in Flusser, but I can't really tell.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
My question:  I've seen photos of gentlemen wearing a collar pin (looks like a large safety pin) as a collar bar/pin.  Does one's collar have to have holes to wear those or do you just pin the collar?
Either. But if you pin the collar enough times, eventually it will develop little pock-marks where the threads break and the fabric frays.

Murrah

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I've enjoyed your insightful posts over the past few weeks (when I first found the site).

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look on EBay.... I just took a look; there are several collar bars available for bid/sale.

scjayhawk

Reaction score
Check out this page at WW Chan's website - the collar in the middle of the table sports a collar bar through the eyelets: W W Chan

scjayhawk

Reaction score
I've seen some collar bars (screw-on end) in a custom shop here in the Galleria (Houston).  I'll stop by at lunch this week and check them out for you.

Murrah, if you are going to all that trouble maybe you could post a digital pic of their selection (if feasible) and a contact number for the store.

Very nice of you to offer to stop by the shop.  Thanks.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have to get bespoke shirts? No company makes RTW? I've been looking for awhile and have not been able to find any and i think bespoke is out of the question for me for a little while.

scjayhawk

Reaction score
Do you have to get bespoke shirts?

I saw a guy a couple of weeks ago wearing a bright red check shirt with a white collar that had eyelets.  He was wearing the shirt with a tie, but without a collar bar and the collar looked like a bat flapping it's wings under his chin.  I'm absolutely certain that he didn't have that shirt custom tailored for himself so they must be available somewhere.  I have not been able to find them, though.  I got my one and only Robert Talbott collar bar from my local tailor, but he said that even Robert Talbott does not stock a collared shirt with eyelets.  Seems silly that they stock the bars but not the shirt, huh?

The main reason I started having my shirts tailored was to get the eyelet collar.  Now I'm getting them tailored because they fit so much better than anything you can buy at the mall.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This subject comes up from time to time. I believe we heard that Paul Fredrick and Brooks Bros have/had eyeleted shirts. But why not just get eyelets put in your shirts? It should be only a nominal fee from someone with the computerized sewing machine that can do it. It's a very simple operation.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But why not just get eyelets put in your shirts? It should be only a nominal fee from someone with the computerized sewing machine that can do it. It's a very simple operation.
I was thinking about having eyelets put in. However i don't know anyone with a computerized sewing machine. Anyone have any recommendation on how to find one who does in rochester NY or the surrounding area? Also could my local tailor do it?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Based on my calling around to try to find a monogrammer, it seems most tailors don't have the machines necessary. However, you might try contacting a dealer of said sewing machines to get in contact with someone who owns one. Just be sure to have her practice a few times on a junk shirt first before putting your favorite collar under the knife.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads