• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cole vs Hilditch & Key RTW shirts

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They seem pretty decent traditional English shirts. What's your experience, quality-wise?

Edit: Coles, that is.

Reaction score
Both are excellent. In terms of craftsmanship, these will be amongst the best RTW shirts that you can buy. For RTW, I find that Coles fits me better, but since H&K comes to town twice a year, I go to them for bespoke shirts.

-von f.

BAB

Reaction score
i have two of each, and in my opnion, h&k are a tiny bit better. their fabrics seem to be of a higher quality..

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Any more opinions, perhaps regarding construction (stitching quality etc.)?

literasyme

Reaction score
In my experience, Cole's fit like tents, and the fabrics aren't as nice as either H&K or T&A. All are machine-made, and while Cole's seem fine construction-wise, their collars aren't great -- fairly cardboard-like, unlike H&K and T&A (the latter have a lot of structure, but the stiffness doesn't feel artificial).

BRITINLA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by literasyme
In my experience, Cole's fit like tents, and the fabrics aren't as nice as either H&K or T&A. All are machine-made, and while Cole's seem fine construction-wise, their collars aren't great -- fairly cardboard-like, unlike H&K and T&A (the latter have a lot of structure, but the stiffness doesn't feel artificial).

The cutaway collars on Coles are quite "short"

StopPolloition

Reaction score
I like the quality of the Coles shirts, and the slim fit shirts fit me pretty decently, however the sleeve lengths on the French cuffs seem to run about 1 size short after washing/shrinkage. Sadly they don't make a 37 length in my neck size. They come with decent MOP buttons, and the stitching is usually very nice.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you'd basically put H&K quality on a par with T&A. Do you recknon T&A's higher price is simply due to their status as the English shirtmaker, royal warrant and all?

literasyme

Reaction score
I know T&A better than H&K, but I don't think there's much of a difference. They do have their own collar shape, which I happen to like -- and they're made in England, which H&K are not anymore (or am I misremembering?). On sale, T&A actually can be cheaper than the competition next door!

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by literasyme
I know T&A better than H&K, but I don't think there's much of a difference. They do have their own collar shape, which I happen to like -- and they're made in England, which H&K are not anymore (or am I misremembering?). On sale, T&A actually can be cheaper than the competition next door!

Thanks. But T&A don't seem to do a sale through their website. I also don't seem to remember a slimmer line from then, but I'm not sure. As it happens I might have to go to London next week so I might just pop in -- do you know when their sale will start by any chance?

literasyme

Reaction score
I don't think they do a slim-fit line. The shirts aren't as roomy, in my experience, as the Jermyn Street standard, but they're not slim. And I don't believe they do their sales online. There have been a couple of threads about London sales lately -- I think they may have started, or may start next week, but the real deals won't be available until later in the summer, end of July-ish. That's when T&A shirts go down to £39.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aren't H&Ks still made in Scotland?

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coles is known for its cutaway collars and they are the best I've found. Note, however, that I prefer slightly shorter collar points than many people on this board. The overall Coles shirt quality is excellent, and if you get double-cuff, the rounded cuffs are extremely well made. The other advantage to Coles is that they come in more sizes than H&K and the other Jermyn street shops. You can get a 16.5-34, for instance, without having to pay extra for sleeve shortening.

For non-cutaway collar shirts, I prefer H&K or Tyrwhitt Sea Island quality shirts (which are vastly superior to the basic CT shirts). I've never tried T&A but my understanding is that it is considerably more expensive.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads