• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cole-Haans

daneero

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've learned a lot during the last couple of months reading this forum. It has certainly given me more insight into what qualifies as quality wear.

Back to the topic. Are Cole-Haans really that bad? Obviously they don't compare to the Ed Greens, Lobbs, Vass, etc.. I'm almost embarassed to say CHs are the nicest shoes I've owned. However, I just can't see myself spending over $200 for a pair of shoes, no matter how beautiful and well-made they are.

As a complete shoe novice, I have no idea how what goes into crafting CHs but they've served me well in the past and continue to do so. In addition, when I can get a $200 CH for $75 on ebay, I feel like they present a great value. What are your opinions?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A couple of things:

* No, they're not that bad, especially those in their high end line.
* Objectively, they're not a good value.
* Subjectively they might be.

If you're already shopping on ebay for shoes, you can easily find many new pairs of Allen Edmonds at a slightly higher price point between $100-150, and sometimes even less.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

I also was a big CH fan, pre-Nike. Used to save my allowance back in the day to buy a pair. This forum, and AAAC, has also showed me what to look for in quality shoes, and so I understood the reason why a pair of CH doesn't look good after owning it for a couple of years. I since moved on to shoes that are above your price range, and yes they are expensive, but if you count the years of ownership you'd find it is worth the price.

I also once in a while go in CH stores, I don't know about the models being offered there but here it's mostly those Indian made air-soled, squarish toed line. Ugh.

mbc

Reaction score
The problem with asking about Cole Haan is that the materials and workmanship vary greatly among the various models. There are cheap models constructed with glue of corrected grain leather, and there are expensive models with goodyear welted construction and at least halfway decent calf leather.

I have a pair of the cheap air soled loafers and they're remarkably comfortable, but they aren't holding up terribly well. The leather creases up despite the use of shoe trees and the soles are made of this strange leather/rubber hybrid that just doesn't make any sense and looks like crap now that I've been wearing them for about a year.

I also have a pair of dark brown goodyear welted bluchers which are holding up just fine after many wearings (and are also very comfortable). Leather holds a shine nicely, doesn't show much creasing, and the soles are relatively sturdy despite being worn in the rain and so on.

daneero

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely look into AE on ebay. Do AEs run similar in size to CH? 10.5 D in CHs fit me well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads