• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cole Haan vs. Asics

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 61 and walk a great deal but am not a runner nor other kind of athlete. Have been in athletic shoe search, to replace my Asics GT-2130 (black with silver, with a smidgen of off-white) running shoes whereas mesh has broken through in a few places - the main problem. This is my second pair of the series, starting with 2100 or 2110. I have a lot of trouble with shoes fitting and have found this series quite good. However, maybe I should get away from the mesh (though leather and other materials wear annoyingly, too). Dirt and stains bother me more now so I'm thinking no white or very little.

Opinions, please, between a Cole Haan blue and navy (white toward bottom, a hint or red and some shiny sections - leather?) casual oxford with felt (nubuck?) and nylon (Nordstrom's Rack says orig. $138 but now in the $70s, I think) vs. the Asics current of series - GT-2150 running shoe (in contrast to the 2150 trail shoe) - again with the black and silver. I think Cole Haan quite comfortable. Photos of the Asics all over the web but I haven't found the Cole Haan.

Opinions regarding quality, comfort, foot health, image, style, aesthetics, anything else, please?

Canaliman

Reaction score
Well from my experience with both, the best is to stick to what you like and what works. The only Cole Haan's I would suggest are the series that contain the Nike Air insoles. The Nordstrom Rack pair you are speaking of I believe are not insulated with such and from experience seem to wear a great deal on the sole and with creasing. The Asics are a great shoe, and if you are looking for a change then you might want to check out the New Balance MR993z which are only around $99 and come in a dark grey/black... which I can guarantee will last much longer and be just as comfortable, if not more-so.

If you want to try them on before buying online (which will be cheaper) I suggest going into your most local REGULAR Nordstrom store and ask a sales associate to try some on.

http://www.buy.com/prod/men-s-new-ba...213102007.html

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I was entranced with the blue CHs and was back at Nordstrom's Rack. Looking for one true flaw I noticed the inner soles were supposed to be glued in but were coming out. Not of extreme importance as many of these shoes come with removable pads but these weren't meant to be and it implied to me the craftsmanship isn't that hot in general. There was little info. on the shoebox or in the shoes (I didn't even see country made or materials!) but there was some mention of the "Nike Air" material. I've ruled these out.

I'll investigate further the New Balance MR993z reference but the one on this link syas $144.95. I can't rationalize that nor probably the $99 either, were I to find that kind of reduction. But I'll see. I'm game for creative alternative models someone takes the time to recommend.

A customer in Saks was very taken with a pair of brown casual athletic shoes and said to the salesman something like "this is the kind of shoe I lie awake at night thinking about." The sales associate said he does that too, and then I chimed in and said I can do that too.... (more likely for me eyewear, though, and sometimes other apparel).
facepalm.gif

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ivapabla
I would say that you should stick with that which you like most and suit you, if anything is not suitable then you should think twice before doing anything.........
ffffuuuu.gif

Go away

spam[1].gif

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
????

Don't know if you thought I was referring to you. (I wasn't) There was some moron who had posted some really stupid things that I quoted who I was inviting to take his thoughts elsewhere.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"The Asics are a great shoe, and if you are looking for a change then you might want to check out the New Balance MR993z which are only around $99 and come in a dark grey/black... which I can guarantee will last much longer and be just as comfortable, if not more-so."

"If you want to try them on before buying online (which will be cheaper) I suggest going into your most local REGULAR Nordstrom store and ask a sales associate to try some on."

I did a "final search" last evening and ordered the Asics 2150s in the black and silver. This Finish Line doesn't carry that color in stock
bigstar[1].gif
but will mail to my home for free. This is the only store I found that had them at a reduced price (about $80). I see it did very well in a Runner's World rating last year.
They had the 993s, in the gray suede only. If a running shoe can be an object of beauty this is it. They were about $120 sale price. Also in Dillard's. The associate first said, when I asked what advantages to higher price, they are more advanced technology, etc. Later when I asked about that vs. the 2150s he said the NB is more of a "walking shoe," the 2150 a "running shoe," though that store labels both as running. He also stated he believes NB's last better in general than Asics....

I tried on a 2150 in a different color than I'm getting and they seemed really tight for a 9.5. The NB felt better but not great. I'm assuming the 2150s will expand, as I have had good fortune with my two 2150 ancestors.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty darned aesthetically attractive for a running shoe:

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Honestly, if you're looking for shoes for walking or running and have established foot problems, it's time to say f*ck it on style. Sneakers are not stylish and won't look good with dress clothes, period, end of sentence.

I've searched high and low for "comfortable" walking shoes that offered both style and comfort. I have learned that attempts to do both result in neither. Now I just wear my New Balance and suck it up when I'm really walking or running. If you're even considering running in Cole-Haans it'd be best to abandon that idea right now.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of many YouTube videos highly praising the Asics GT-2150:

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Honestly, if you're looking for shoes for walking or running and have established foot problems, it's time to say f*ck it on style. Sneakers are not stylish and won't look good with dress clothes, period, end of sentence.

I've searched high and low for "comfortable" walking shoes that offered both style and comfort. I have learned that attempts to do both result in neither. Now I just wear my New Balance and suck it up when I'm really walking or running. If you're even considering running in Cole-Haans it'd be best to abandon that idea right now.

Thanks but, as I said, I gave up on that Cole Haan pair and I never wanted these for real running, anyway. I've toyed over the years with not even keeping a pair of athletic shoes but I went back to it and compromise with a selection the salespeople feel is at least pretty good for fast walking and sufficiently comfortable. But looks, history, cache do mean something to me, like in virtually all other attire and accessories.
No, I certainly do not care for athletic shoes with real dress clothes. I rarely wear them on "Casual Fridays" or other dress/casual occasions.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i really like keens. i'm a walker, not a runner, but they fit me just right, look pretty good and wear forever.

soleracks

Reaction score
Get a pair of Cole Haans with Lunarlon sole, they are the best

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads